My kids are cool (i.e. into comics)

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

HassanT
Master Reviewer

My kids are cool (i.e. into comics)

Post by HassanT »

My oldest daughter Jenna (8) loved going to the comic book store. She already read the two Runaway books she got and loved them. She also thought the Wizard of Oz Marvel Sketchbook waso really cool (I need to get her the hardcover when it comes out).

My youngest Zara (almost 6) loved the DC Kids book. Also, tonight when I was tucking her in bed, she pretended to shoot me but said she can't hurt me because I was wearing my Green Lantern shirt and the green glow around my body should protect me.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: My kids are cool (i.e. into comics)

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote:My youngest Zara (almost 6) loved the DC Kids book. Also, tonight when I was tucking her in bed, she pretended to shoot me but said she can't hurt me because I was wearing my Green Lantern shirt and the green glow around my body should protect me.
Nice :lol:
jlshank007
Contributor

Post by jlshank007 »

Very cool. Hopefully one day my son will be into comics as well. I figure between me, his mom and grandpa he has to have it in him.

Do you remember what the first book was that you had them read and how old they were?
Jason Shank
Mount Joy, PA
JC
Reviewer

Post by JC »

Very cute Hassan :)

I don't have any kids .. but I bought my niece ( age 8 ) all nine volumes of Bone and she said it's her favorite book. Even submitted it as her homework -- they had to pick one book, draw some scenes , and write why they liked the book ... and she got an "Excellent" rating on her homework.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

jlshank007 wrote:Very cool. Hopefully one day my son will be into comics as well. I figure between me, his mom and grandpa he has to have it in him.

Do you remember what the first book was that you had them read and how old they were?
I have been trying to get my kids interested in comics for a long-time. I tired Owly at first, but my kids didn't like B&Q comics ("Someone forgot to color this one" was their response"). I purchased the DC digests for them at one point, Power Puff Girls and Teen Titans Go, but they really didn't get into it.

It was when I bought the first Bone color edition that they were interested. My oldest got interested in Mary Jane, when she saw the digest at the LCS. I also ended up buying the first Iron Man and Avengers Adventures Digests.

So slowly, they have been gain interested in comics. The cartoons help too. They never got into Teen Titans Go, but they loved watching JLU, Batman Strikes, and now Brave and the Bold. Their favorite super-heroes are Supergirl and Batgirl for obvious reasons :) They also like Spider-man.

Just be patience and it will happen. The key is to help them pick comics that they would enjoy.

Hassan
BuffDaddyBill
Visitor

Future is looking bright.

Post by BuffDaddyBill »

My 7 year old is really getting into comics as well. I think it helps that comics for current animated shows are being produced. Batman and the Brave and Bold, Star Wars Clone Wars and Teen Titans Go all have been instrumental in introducing my son to comics. Now he is looking into other titles to read, which would not have happened if weren't for those previous comics. Also, what Boom is doing is great, with the Cars and Toy Story comics. Even my three old daughter has taken notice.

I see Marvel is coming out Iron Man Armored Adventures, which looks good. My son already asked to put it on the list. If they could just put out a Spectacular Spiderman cartoon comic, he would be thrilled.