San Diego Comic-Con 2013

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

atomic99
Special Reviewer

San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Post by atomic99 »

I really thought last year would be my last year at San Diego for awhile but I qualified for a Pro badge this time and got in. So I locked in my flight, rental, and motel this morning. Somebody let me know when that Pre-Paid parking opens up. I think it was usually in April.

I'll be teaching again this summer so only Friday-Sunday for me. The Pro badge isn't just a gimmick either as I am actively working on getting my work published and out there as those at last year's APE can attest to. So less photography for me probably at the con (I'll probably not even cover the masquerade, which I've done every year since 1989) and more checking out ways to get my work out there.

I also qualified for Wonder Con in Anaheim, which I'm so tempted to do, but I think I have to back out of and just choose one (San Diego).

So, who is confirmed for going?
MobileHome
Contributor

Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Post by MobileHome »

Ahoy! I'll* be there! Will be my 4th SDCC. Had a ball last year!

*Tony G
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Here are the people I know are going (besides MobileHome):

Me
Bob
John
Sean
Scott
Chris

I think this is my 5th in a row. Still excited, but I will be there this year Thurs-Sun as opposed to my traditional Wed-Mon, which means I will miss the gathering after preview night for the first time.

Bob and John have hotels, but the rest of us are still looking for accommodations. Scott is trying to find us a Condo.

I will try to do the Drink and Swap for the 4th year in a row.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

Yup, I'll be there, with bells on.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

As Trevor mentioned, I'll be there.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Trev wrote: Bob and John have hotels, but the rest of us are still looking for accommodations. Scott is trying to find us a Condo.
I actually have not set up a hotel yet....... If there's a 4-person condo at a reasonable per person rate I might be interested.

When would we know?
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

If I'm able to get badges and a room this year, I'll be there!
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

GABE! wrote:If I'm able to get badges and a room this year, I'll be there!
Sweet. Don't they go on sale Saturday?
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

Wife and I have tickets. The close hotel lottery has not started yet to my understanding. Would love to hear about folks that are staying outside the hotel system (condo, house rental, cardboard box, etc). The lottery system for hotels is always stressful and expensive.
LA Rabbit
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

LA Rabbit wrote:Wife and I have tickets. The close hotel lottery has not started yet to my understanding. Would love to hear about folks that are staying outside the hotel system (condo, house rental, cardboard box, etc). The lottery system for hotels is always stressful and expensive.
I have never used the hotel lottery system. I always try to have my hotel room lined up before that madness opens. Until last year, I was always able to get into the Gaslamp Hilton across the street from the convention center. I stayed over at Liberty Station last year and while not as ideal as being within walking distance from Comic-Con, it worked out surprisingly well.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

I'm in this year. Got my pro badge but have not secured a room yet. Need to get on that.
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

LA Rabbit wrote:Wife and I have tickets. The close hotel lottery has not started yet to my understanding. Would love to hear about folks that are staying outside the hotel system (condo, house rental, cardboard box, etc). The lottery system for hotels is always stressful and expensive.
Starting last year it should have been relatively less stressful. Now every room within walking distance is reserved for the con.

There is the early bird deal they do for people who don't mind hotel circle where you can lock in a room fairly easily if you are willing to commit to hotel circle early. Hotel circle is like a last resort for me, so I never go after that. If you don't mind the shuttle, it is a good way to get peace of mind.

Condos seem to be near impossible now if you don't already have a relationship or on a wait list. Could be some great deals if you are willing to drive in.

I've always thought about trying to stay on Coronado . . . might do that one day. There's a water taxi that drops right at the convention center.
MobileHome
Contributor

Post by MobileHome »

I'd be down for Coronado
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I can't bear to spend $1000+ on a hotel, so I snagged the Hampton Inn near the Airport/Sea World using my Hilton points.

Hopefully I can get parking reserved at the convention center. If not, the hotel I'm at is within walking distance of the Old Town trolley station.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

BobBretall wrote:I can't bear to spend $1000+ on a hotel, so I snagged the Hampton Inn near the Airport/Sea World using my Hilton points.

Hopefully I can get parking reserved at the convention center. If not, the hotel I'm at is within walking distance of the Old Town trolley station.
Close in hotel has been $200-$250 a night minimum for 3 or 4 years. What were you thinking you'd get for a rate? The best thing we've found so far was $750 per person for 6 of us.

Unless you pile in and sleep guys on the floor it is going to be pricey.