IDW Artist Editions

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

LA Rabbit
Reviewer

IDW Artist Editions

Post by LA Rabbit »

With permission from Bob, I am starting a thread for all the IDW Artist Editions. It seems like they are doing a horrible job of promoting them, so figured we could keep our collective ears to the ground better. I have signed up the email updates but have not received a single one. The IDW website leaves much to be desired.
EDIT from Bob: People should feel free to start threads at any time. My permission is NOT needed :-)

Here is the link for the Artist's Edition.

https://shop.idwpublishing.com/art/artisteditions.html

If any of you sign up and get notices, please post.

The problem is that list is behind the times, and it is incomplete. I believe it was listed earlier regarding the special Wally Wood Wondercon edition (different cover) which is no longer even listed. Here is what I show but please correct:

Already out

Rockteer - I do not own. The Rockteer has never fired my imagination

Walt Simonson's Thor - I think a variant edition is out there but I don't know. I do own and my favorite to date.

Romita Amazing Spiderman - (also had special edition version). I have the regular edition. Very pleased with this.

Wally Wood - (also had special edition version). I have the regular edition.

Up for Pre-Order

Groo - I have pre-ordered through IDW which is the first time I have tried that.

Daredevil Born Again - I believe there is a special SDCC version. If Bob can get that I told him I would buy his version off of him otherwise I will be scrambling to find a copy. This might be a mistake on my part. We shall see.

The Spirit - skipping this as not my bag

Tarzan - in this month's previews and I am on the fence. Please help sell me on this.

Planned but don't know when

Jack Davis Artist edition - out in late 2012 but announced at Wondercon. Anyone have more details

Related stuff
Portfolio for Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson. Did I miss out on these? I heard the announcement at Wondercon that they wanted them for SDCC but I don't see them on the IDW website but I can't find anything on that.

The Alien Illustrated story. This is from Titan books but throwing it in here. I would likely buy it if I saw a copy.

Please correct, add things, etc.

I think these artist's editions are pretty great. Superficially they seem very expensive but you get way more than you pay for me. For me, I actually like to read them like giant sized treasury comics so the story is important to me (they are not just art books for me). I realize that is strange and many may just want to look at the pretty pictures (and they art). That is my stumbling block with the Wally Wood one is I am not much into those types of stories (same reason I am passing on the Spirit). Just my tastes, although I do like Popeye comics where are even older than the EC stuff. I am hoping this will be a better place for information. I know at Wondercon, people were buying up those varient cover editions so there is a market for them. As I told Bob, I think the guy putting these together is doing it for himself and doesn't seem to care about sales. Given the response on these, they could print up more. Mind you, despite its high cost, I don't think the profit margin is very high. I don't know printing but they seem high quality to me.

Thanks.
LA Rabbit
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

I confirmed with Scott Dunbier from IDW that there will be an SDCC variant for the DD AE. It should be announced on their site in the next week or so.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: IDW Artist Editions

Post by BobBretall »

LA Rabbit wrote: Walt Simonson's Thor - I think a variant edition is out there but I don't know. I do own and my favorite to date.
Yes. There was a variant from SDCC last year. Had a different cover & was autographed by Simonson (I believe).
LA Rabbit wrote: Daredevil Born Again - I believe there is a special SDCC version. If Bob can get that I told him I would buy his version off of him otherwise I will be scrambling to find a copy. This might be a mistake on my part. We shall see.
I will be ordering the SDCC edition as soon as it's available as long as it does not sell out before I make it to the site......
GUYS, please put a notice on Touch if anyone sees these going on sale.
LA Rabbit wrote: Portfolio for Neal Adams and Bernie Wrightson. Did I miss out on these? I heard the announcement at Wondercon that they wanted them for SDCC but I don't see them on the IDW website but I can't find anything on that.
These were in the May Previews catalog (last month).
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

There will probably be an artists edition panel at sdcc. I suspect a lot of us will be there.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

BobBretall wrote:
LA Rabbit wrote: Walt Simonson's Thor - I think a variant edition is out there but I don't know. I do own and my favorite to date.
Yes. There was a variant from SDCC last year. Had a different cover & was autographed by Simonson (I believe).
From what I recall, the Simonson Thor variant from SDCC did not come signed, but Walter was on hand to sign copies, for those that wanted to get it signed.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

BadDeacon wrote:
BobBretall wrote:
From what I recall, the Simonson Thor variant from SDCC did not come signed, but Walter was on hand to sign copies, for those that wanted to get it signed.
Yep.
atomic99
Special Reviewer

Post by atomic99 »

You guys got it. I picked up the Simonson one last year at SDCC but opted to not get it signed. (Not big on signatures. Maybe since a drunken Brubaker marked up the cover of a Cap trade once. lol)

I've been waiting for that Daredevil SDCC exclusive since Bob mentioned it but I was never seeing it on their site. So I went with the standard one and the new Wally Wood one since I could not make WonderCon and DCBS got shorted orders. I'm no longer going to rely on DCBS now with these and rather order right from the source. So this thread and updates are EXACTLY what I'm looking for.

Can you believe, SDCC is a month away? We should be getting panel schedules in a couple weeks. Here is hoping the Artists Edition panel isn't on Thursday.

Oh, and I wouldn't feel bad for not using these to read. They really are for gawking at the art and learning about how one's favorite comics were prepared. A glimpse behind the curtain and a pseudo-chance to own comic art we can never have or afford. They really are art books, which I'm all about, and not HC trades to be read. But you can do that too. :)

Personally, I got the Stevens, Simonson, and Romita ones. Waiting on Wood and Mazzucchelli. I'm passing on Groo (Not my cuppa). And while those portfolio ones seem like mini versions, I'm passing there as well. Is the Spirit/Eisner one ready for order or did this one disappear from production after they announced it? I'll go for this and the Kubert Tarzan one.

These books, the new Rocketeer Anthology/comics, and the push to get Dave Stevens' work back in print has really put Scott Dunbier on the map for me. I'm constantly thumbing through the collected sketchbook they recently assembled. They have another book coming soon with Stevens' non-Rocketeer stories like Aurora, which should be some amazing stuff. Dave Stevens is/was my favorite artist so this is why I'm gushing over this.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

The current Artist's Editions I'm looking forward to are Daredevil Reborn, and Jack Davis.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

While I love my Wally Wood artist edition for the art, it's a bear to try to actually read. The thing is huge, larger than the artist editions. I put a pillow in my lap first and rest the book on there so that I can hold the thing and actually read it. It's like trying to read one those old bound map books you would see at the library.

Below are a couple prices for artist editions I've found online.

The Joe Kubert's Tarzan of the Apes Artist Edition is available as a pre-order for $82.59 ($117.99 list) + shipping from Midtown Comics. They will charge your credit card before it ships though. I'm considering ordering it. I've already pre-ordered the Daredevil Reborn artist edition there.

The Alien Illustratred Story Original Art Edition (Titan Books) is available as pre-order for $40.62 with free shipping ($75 list), from Amazon. I almost pre-ordered this because it's a great price but decided the art wasn't my thing after I looked at some preview art online.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

IanG wrote: The Alien Illustratred Story Original Art Edition (Titan Books) is available as pre-order for $40.62 with free shipping ($75 list), from Amazon. I almost pre-ordered this because it's a great price but decided the art wasn't my thing after I looked at some preview art online.
I had not seen this one before. I pre-ordered it......Since I have Amazon Prime, I should get it on "day of release".
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

IanG wrote:While I love my Wally Wood artist edition for the art, it's a
The Alien Illustratred Story Original Art Edition (Titan Books) is available as pre-order for $40.62 with free shipping ($75 list), from Amazon. I almost pre-ordered this because it's a great price but decided the art wasn't my thing after I looked at some preview art online.
Thanks for the link, like Bob I just ordered it. $40 is too good a price to miss. This thread is already paying dividends.
LA Rabbit
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Trev wrote:I confirmed with Scott Dunbier from IDW that there will be an SDCC variant for the DD AE. It should be announced on their site in the next week or so.
It is live for ordering now:
https://shop.idwpublishing.com/art/arti ... riant.html

Got mine for Thursday pickup......

Andrew, I will pass my regular edition from DCBS on to you for the $118.75 they charged me for it...... much cheaper than the $200 for the Con Exclusive edition.
Last edited by BobBretall on Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

BobBretall wrote:
Trev wrote:I confirmed with Scott Dunbier from IDW that there will be an SDCC variant for the DD AE. It should be announced on their site in the next week or so.
It is live for ordering now:
https://shop.idwpublishing.com/art/arti ... riant.html

Got mine for Thursday pickup......

Andrew, I will pass my regular edition from DCBS on to you for the $118.75 they charged me for it...... much cheaper than the $200 for the Con Exclusive edition.
Ok, I got mine. Pickup on Friday. $200 seems a bit steep considering on the Romita one you got Romita sig and sketch along with stan lee sig for $250.

This is just sig. but the 250 limit enticed me enough to pull the trigger. If I don't like it I'm sure I can turn it for at least cost.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Gaaah! There is also a con exclusive Groo Artist's Edition!

I must have it......Another $150.....

I have a regular edition that will be $93.75 up for grabs (that I ordered from DCBS) if anyone wants to get it from me.
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

BobBretall wrote:I confirmed with Scott Dunbier for Andrew, I will pass my regular edition from DCBS on to you for the $118.75 they charged me for it...... much cheaper than the $200 for the Con Exclusive edition.
Sold. That works for me. I already ordered the regular Groo one before I saw the new signed one. I wish they would do a better job of promotion. There is an audience for this stuff but with the pre-order requirements you have to guess which one is going to be available when.

As a side note, I still have not received any email updates from IDW. These things really do sell themselves.
LA Rabbit