New in your Silver/Bronze Age Collection

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Trev
Master Reviewer

New in your Silver/Bronze Age Collection

Post by Trev »

Firing up a thread for people to post pics of the Silver Age books they acquire. If you pick up a new Silver book, post it here for others to see.
Last edited by Trev on Fri May 25, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Here's one I got in the last week. With this issue, I've completed my Silver Age Avengers run from 1-106. Still a few books remaining to take me to 150 and eventually on to 300!

Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Took advantage of a trade credit with mycomicshop to fill some holes in my Legion Adventure Comics run. I think I bought almost everything they had in the stock that was a hole in my run and 5.0 or better.

atomic99
Special Reviewer

Post by atomic99 »

Nice books, Trev. I've gotten a number of those Adventure/Legion books on the cheap in lower grades over the years with my hunt for cheap DC Silver. And I think I've got a really hacked version of AVENGERS #6 that I bought as a kid.

Unfortunately, my purchases of late have been zero. No Wonder Con, no regular LCS visits, and tight funds. All my money seems to be gobbled up on DCBS.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

atomic99 wrote:Nice books, Trev. I've gotten a number of those Adventure/Legion books on the cheap in lower grades over the years with my hunt for cheap DC Silver. And I think I've got a really hacked version of AVENGERS #6 that I bought as a kid.

Unfortunately, my purchases of late have been zero. No Wonder Con, no regular LCS visits, and tight funds. All my money seems to be gobbled up on DCBS.
these books are all primarily a result of trading in books I bought through dcbs that I no longer wanted to mycomicshop. :)

i get to read new books, then later sell them to mcs and end up filling holes in some silver runs. plus reducing the amount of storage i need.

I probably traded a short box worth of modern books for these.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Here are some I bought a few weeks back:

Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Man, do many cool dc war covers. And that tec is great. Might have to try some silver batman.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Trev wrote:Man, do many cool dc war covers. And that tec is great. Might have to try some silver batman.
I love silver age Unknown Soldier & Enemy Ace comics (both ran in Star Spangled), those were some of the 1st war comics I dipped my toe into.....they were a bit outside of the "normal" war like Sgt. Rock, and were more realistic (to a kid) than Sgt. Fury which was just kind of benignly goofy.

I'm working on completing my collection of all Unknown Soldier (I need 8 more Star Spangled issues) & Enemy Ace (I need 4 Star Spangled & his 1st 3 appearances in Our Army At War).
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Got a couple of Archies over the weekend as part of a larger group that had mostly bronze stuff in it.

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Got my latest batch from MyComicShop.com......

Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Only one of those I have is the ff. doom patrol issue is awesome.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Trev wrote:Only one of those I have is the ff. doom patrol issue is awesome.
I love the Romita cover on Our Love Story..... Those old romance comics are really hard to find.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

BobBretall wrote:I love the Romita cover on Our Love Story..... Those old romance comics are really hard to find.
That is a really great cover. I didn't even know that series existed!
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

That Romita cover is stunning. What grades do you all look for in your older comic back issue purchases? I'm looking to start getting some older Supergirl and Aquaman. Also All Star Western and DC war comics.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Perseus wrote:That Romita cover is stunning. What grades do you all look for in your older comic back issue purchases? I'm looking to start getting some older Supergirl and Aquaman. Also All Star Western and DC war comics.
I buy mostly in VG & F, but you need to be very careful in VG as it's open to extremely wide interpretation. You can get that Our Love Story which is VG+ and has what I'd call "great eye appeal" then there are other sellers that grade stuff as VG that look as if they were used to wipe up kitchen spills.

That FF book is VG and looks very nice (to me). Again, good eye appeal.

High-grade silver is significantly more expensive to collect than mid-grade. If you are collecting as an investment, go with higher grades VF. If you are collecting for yourself (like I do) then being very selective about your mid-grade purchases is a good way to go.