Previews Spotlight #046 (Aug->Oct): Fri Aug 12th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #046 (Aug->Oct): Fri Aug 12th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

The new Previews is delayed again this month, instead of coming out on the last Wed of July, it will be coming out on Wed Aug 3rd.

The Previews call will be on Friday Aug 12th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #046 show should be in by Midnight on Friday Aug 12th

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Comic Book Resources)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW (Comics Continuum)

Image (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------
Ape Entertainment (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Big Dog Ink (Comics Continuum)

Bluewater (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Red 5 (Comics Continuum)

Zenescope (Comics Continuum)

12 Gauge
Ardden Entertainment
Moonstone
Radical
Last edited by BobBretall on Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 pm, edited 10 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Let's start out with Image...... Looks like I'm getting 30 books from them in October:

THE LAST OF THE GREATS #1
CARBON GREY ORIGINS #1 (of 2)
PILOT SEASON: TEST #1
(I'm totally soured on Pilot season in general, but will try this one by Fialkov & Ekedal)
BLUE ESTATE #6
BOMB QUEEN VII: QUEEN’S WORLD #3 (of 4)
‘BREED III #6 (of 6)
BUTCHER BAKER, THE RIGHTEOUS MAKER #8
CHEW #23
ELEPHANTMEN #37
GLADSTONE’S SCHOOL FOR WORLD CONQUERORS #6
HACK/SLASH #9
THE INFINITE #3
THE INFINITE HORIZON #5 (of 6) (RES)
INVINCIBLE #87
MAGDALENA #10
MARKSMEN #4 (of 6)
MORIARTY #5
MORNING GLORIES #14
NEAR DEATH #2
PIGS #2
THE RED WING #4 (of 4)
REED GUNTHER #5
SAMURAI’S BLOOD #5 (of 6)
SCREAMLAND #5
SHINKU #5
SKULLKICKERS #12
THE VAULT #3 (of 3)
VESCELL#3
THE WALKING DEAD #90
WITCHBLADE #151
(I was going to drop this but want to give Tim Seeley a try)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

9 books from Dark Horse this month:

ABE SAPIEN: THE DEVIL DOES NOT JEST #2 (of 2)
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: RUSSIA #2 (of 5)
BALTIMORE: THE CURSE BELLS #3 (of 5)
CONAN: ROAD OF KINGS #9
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #5
FEAR AGENT #32: OUT OF STEP part 5 (of 5)
THE GOON #36
STAR WARS: CRIMSON EMPIRE III—EMPIRE LOST #1 (of 6)
USAGI YOJIMBO #141
Usagi's 200th issue!
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

Yeah, once again I'll be getting most of the new titles from Image. I'm sad to not see Mission or Marineman for the past two months ... plus Marineman #6 is almost double sized so I'm guessing both titles are finished. Oh well, leaves more room in the budget.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

And DC.....

I'm really not sure what DCU 2.0 #2s I'm going to be getting. I'd really like to read the #1s before I make a commitment to be buying these series ongoing, I may not pre-order any, unless DCBS has some deal on them.

Stuff I'll be trying:
THE HUNTRESS #1
MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #1
THE SHADE #1

New things I won't be trying:
BATMAN: ODYSSEY VOL. 2 #1
While I love Neal's art, I really don't care for the Batman stories he writes. He really needs a strong editor.
LEGION: SECRET ORIGIN #1
Another origin story for the Legion, I can do without 6 issues of this.
PENGUIN: PAIN AND PREJUDICE #1
It's fascinating to me that DC chose to do a Penguin mini the month after the re-launch. I'll be curious to see how this sells.
DC COMICS: THE NEW 52 HC
On sale DECEMBER 7 • 1,216 pg, FC, $150.00 US
Another ballsy move on DC's part. I'll be really curious to see who is willing to drop $150 on this.
THE ANNOTATED SANDMAN VOL. 1 HC
Just when you thought DC had run out of ways to try to extract money from the Sandman comics. Is this the next trend?

Vertigo stuff I'm buying:
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #20
AMERICAN VAMPIRE: SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST #5
DMZ #70
FABLES #110
NORTHLANDERS #45
SWEET TOOTH #26
THE UNWRITTEN #30
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

BobBretall wrote:And DC.....
I'm really not sure what DCU 2.0 #2s I'm going to be getting. I'd really like to read the #1s before I make a commitment to be buying these series ongoing, I may not pre-order any, unless DCBS has some deal on them.
I'm willing to check out pretty much anything DC's got for three months at the minimum, but I'll be sticking to the core 11 titles I initially chose. I will be adding the Huntress to that lot, as I'm a fan of the character and it looks like they put her back in the late 90s/early 00's costume I really liked.

The Arissa Green Lantern statue looks pretty cool, but I'll wait and see what else is being offered this month from other companies. It'd be nice if just once I'd stick to the budget I set for myself. :)
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

torchsong wrote:
BobBretall wrote:And DC.....
I'm willing to check out pretty much anything DC's got for three months at the minimum, but I'll be sticking to the core 11 titles I initially chose.
I might be tempted to give them 3 months of pre-order if I was only trying out a selected set of 11. Since I'm getting all 52, DC has exactly 1 issue to sell me on any given series.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Previews Delayed a week:
DCBS wrote:In an ordinary month, Previews arrives on the 4th Wednesday of the month, the same week that DCBS begins month-end shipments. However, for the next Previews catalog, Diamond is shipping Previews one week later than normal.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel Comics double-ship report:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #671 & #672
AVENGERS 1959 #1 & #2
DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE #15 & #16
DEADPOOL #44 & #45
FF #10 & #11
HULK #42 & #43
SUPERIOR #5 & #6

Wow! Marvel's solicits seemed very subdued this month. They cut WAY back on the double-ships too, I hope it's the start of a trend.

Nothing particularly exciting here, lots of stuff ending (Fear Itself, Spider Island) maybe the November solicits will have something exciting.

They didn't really announce anything particularly big at SDCC, maybe they are shifting their big announcements to NYCC.
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

BobBretall wrote:They didn't really announce anything particularly big at SDCC, maybe they are shifting their big announcements to NYCC.
Due to all the DC hype they probably decided to punt and wait on any announcements they may have coming.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

BobBretall wrote:Marvel Comics double-ship report:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #671 & #672
AVENGERS 1959 #1 & #2
DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE #15 & #16
DEADPOOL #44 & #45
FF #10 & #11
HULK #42 & #43
SUPERIOR #5 & #6

Wow! Marvel's solicits seemed very subdued this month. They cut WAY back on the double-ships too, I hope it's the start of a trend.

Nothing particularly exciting here, lots of stuff ending (Fear Itself, Spider Island) maybe the November solicits will have something exciting.

They didn't really announce anything particularly big at SDCC, maybe they are shifting their big announcements to NYCC.
According to Marvel, they stole the show at SDCC.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote: According to Marvel, they stole the show at SDCC.
Marvel movies & TV stole the show. Their booth was jammed, just like at WonderCon. And, just like at WonderCon, you'd be hard-pressed to determine they were a comics company from their booth that had movie & video-game stuff drawing in the crowds. At least they were giving away a "mix-tape" comic at the show.

The DC booth, while it had toys & animation & stuff, was very comics centric and they were giving out LOADS of different comics every day.

I'd be interested to hear a somewhat objective opinion from someone who covered both Marvel & DC in depth at the show (Newsarama or CBR). I went to 1 DC comics panel and 1 Marvel TV panel, everything else was Indies, creator centric, & comics/general interest.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Some cool stuff from IDW, the 2 I'm most looking forward to are:

STAR TREK/LEGION OF SUPERHEROES #1
JOHN BYRNE'S COLD WAR #1

There's also:
WALLY WOOD'S EC STORIES: ARTIST'S EDITION HC

I'm likely going to skip this one. It's $125 and I already have all of Wally Wood's EC stuff over-sized in B&W in my Russ Cochran's EC Library. I'll miss some of the mark-ups & such, but $125 is quite a pretty penny. I'll be waiting for the John Romita, Sr. one.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

BobBretall wrote: I'll be waiting for the John Romita, Sr. one.
I'm very excited about that Artist's edition.
IanG
Special Reviewer

Post by IanG »

BobBretall wrote:Some cool stuff from IDW, the 2 I'm most looking forward to are:

STAR TREK/LEGION OF SUPERHEROES #1
JOHN BYRNE'S COLD WAR #1

There's also:
WALLY WOOD'S EC STORIES: ARTIST'S EDITION HC

I'm likely going to skip this one. It's $125 and I already have all of Wally Wood's EC stuff over-sized in B&W in my Russ Cochran's EC Library. I'll miss some of the mark-ups & such, but $125 is quite a pretty penny. I'll be waiting for the John Romita, Sr. one.
I'm really torn on this Wally Wood artist edition. I'd love to own it but the price tag is higher than the rest. It is a little larger 15x22 instead of 11x17. I wish there was a DCBS discount of the usual 35%, but I realize it's a limited printing on these editions. I'll probably wait for the Romita Sr. Spider-Man or the Eisner Spirit one.