San Diego Comic-Con 2013

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

torchsong
Special Reviewer

Re: San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Post by torchsong »

boshuda wrote:This all sounds like a ton of hassle. Is San Diego, oops, sorry, International Comic Con really worth all this? Does it really provide that much more entertainment and/or information than a smaller con where you don't have to sign up for lotteries to get a hotel?
San Diego is something - as a comic book fan - everyone should do at least one time. There are conventions I enjoy more, but nothing really compares to the madness and mayhem that is SDCC. Think of it as a pilgrimage to Mecca if you were a Muslim. :)

It has its drawbacks: It is insanely crowded. It is highly likely you will not get to spend much time chatting up/getting a sketch from that super-popular artist whose work you absolutely love. If the panel you want to go to is in Hall H you might as well start camping out that morning and give up doing anything else. And as you've heard, securing lodging is an adventure in and of itself. :)

At the same time, if you like your pop culture fix, there is no other place like it. The best example I can give you: The first time I ever went, I had a list of things I figured I'd at least try to find. I was convinced that I wouldn't find any of these things, but I'd hoped over the course of four days I'd find a few of them or have leads on where to get them. I had all the items on my list bought and bagged within TWO HOURS of the first night (preview night). That's what San Diego Comi-Con is. If you like to shop - what you want is there. If you like star-gazing - the celeb (comic or otherwise) you love is there.

And it doesn't suck that San Diego is a beautiful city with plenty to offer outside the con itself. The wife and I usually take Friday off and go do something non-con oriented. Seaworld, the Zoo, Balboa Park, or just the beach...
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

boshuda wrote:This all sounds like a ton of hassle. Is San Diego, oops, sorry, International Comic Con really worth all this? Does it really provide that much more entertainment and/or information than a smaller con where you don't have to sign up for lotteries to get a hotel?

Or is it not as bad as it sounds. I know when I book for Toronto I have to book a hotel, figure out parking (which in TO can be a royal PITA), and -- well, that's about it. And parking on the weekends actually isn't that bad. It just always costs money to park anywhere near the financial district. Which is where the cons are. But, if you were to listen to me every step of the way you'd think it was this huge mess while I compare rates, look at maps to determine how far I'm willing to drive, etc.
I think the self evident answer to your question is yes.

Yes, worth it.

Once you learn the system it isn't bad. Just that you have to concentrate about 20 min of work into very specific windows.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Trev wrote:

Or is it not as bad as it sounds. I know when I book for Toronto I have to book a hotel, figure out parking (which in TO can be a royal PITA), and -- well, that's about it. And parking on the weekends actually isn't that bad. It just always costs money to park anywhere near the financial district. Which is where the cons are. But, if you were to listen to me every step of the way you'd think it was this huge mess while I compare rates, look at maps to determine how far I'm willing to drive, etc.
I think the self evident answer to your question is yes.

Yes, worth it.

Once you learn the system it isn't bad. Just that you have to concentrate about 20 min of work into very specific windows.
Agreed. SDCC is more of a total experience - not just the show (which is great in both its scale and dept of comics stuff) - but also it's location with respect to the Gaslamp district of SD, and the CA beaches. Just a fun place to be for a fun show.

The hassles, as Trev points out, are few and concentrated. Once you have your tickets/hotels, the rest is very easy because it's such a well organized show.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Yes. The 150,000 people who put up with all the nonsense to get in wouldn't go to the hassle if they didn't think it was worth it, they'd skip it & go somewhere else.

Best part about SDCC is it's many cons in one. The con I experience is very different from John's con, which is different from Trev's con, or Sean's con. We have certain crossover points but we all get different things out of it.

Then there are the people with a TOTALLY different con experience from any of us because they want to focus on the Hollywood stuff, or the toys, or the video game stuff, or costuming.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Post by boshuda »

BobBretall wrote:
Yes. The 150,000 people who put up with all the nonsense to get in wouldn't go to the hassle if they didn't think it was worth it, they'd skip it & go somewhere else.

Best part about SDCC is it's many cons in one. The con I experience is very different from John's con, which is different from Trev's con, or Sean's con. We have certain crossover points but we all get different things out of it.

Then there are the people with a TOTALLY different con experience from any of us because they want to focus on the Hollywood stuff, or the toys, or the video game stuff, or costuming.
People do stuff that isn't worth it all the time out of habit, nostalgia, or who knows what other motivation. Since you guys go to this con and other cons I was curious if it was truly worth the extra hassle versus the lesser hassle of another con. I guess I wanted to hear some reasoned opinions, because I would like to go one year but it seems almost overwhelming just figuring out how to actually get to the thing. Considering the responses and the rapid fire of them I'm convinced. I'm going to have to plan on attending one of these years.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The logistics of going to Comic-Con are not entirely trivial but it is worth the trouble. For years, it has been the one time and place that the majority of the comic book industry compacts into a single place. Different people get different things out of it.

Personally, I like to wall each and every aisle and see what there is to see. In decades past, I would spend tons of money and buy tons of comics. In recent years, I'm buying less at Comic-Con. Some years I go to a lot of panels, other years I go to nearly none. Even in those years, I spend time going over all of the panel listings and mark the panels of interest. It is always handy to know what is the most interesting option if you just need to sit down for a bit. I've gotten to meet some very interesting people at Comic-Con and find it to be a great networking opportunity. It it a convention that every hard core comic book fan should go to at least once. But, yes, both the planning and the convention itseld can be a bit overwhelming.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

boshuda wrote: Considering the responses and the rapid fire of them I'm convinced. I'm going to have to plan on attending one of these years.
Do it at least once. As others have mentioned, everyone goes for different reasons. I prefer smaller conventions to meet artists and get sketches (they have more time and aren't rushed, I can talk to them without feeling pressured because there's a huge line behind me), but at SDCC, I shop. All the import vendors and half-price trade booths keep me busy, not to mention the occasional comic art page salesmen. Panels tend to be more fun at SDCC as well...they get bigger names, and cover such a wide range of topics.
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

Yes, it's worth it.

San Diego is the best and biggest.

It's like watching the best movie in 3-D 16-channel surround sound giant IMAX. Sure, the movie is still good, on a regular screen, and maybe even more enjoyable in some respects. The intensity of giant 3-D IMAX can't be matched though.

You can get great experiences at smaller cons, maybe even better individual experiences. But nothing has the same magnitude and intensity of San Diego.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

boshuda wrote:
BobBretall wrote:

People do stuff that isn't worth it all the time out of habit, nostalgia, or who knows what other motivation. Since you guys go to this con and other cons I was curious if it was truly worth the extra hassle versus the lesser hassle of another con. I guess I wanted to hear some reasoned opinions, because I would like to go one year but it seems almost overwhelming just figuring out how to actually get to the thing. Considering the responses and the rapid fire of them I'm convinced. I'm going to have to plan on attending one of these years.
Ok, my first response was a little flippant because for every thread like this I've ever been in, there is some hater who comes by and says things like "totally not worth it, i would never go" or "i've never been, but it seems like a big problem -- just go to a small con" or "too expensive and too much hassle" or "i hate lines so I'm never going", etc. And almost invariably those people have never been to SDCC.

I would encourage you to go and see. My first time I went and put in a ton of work to figure it out because I had always thought about going and had never been and thought I might not get another chance. I've been every year since and made some great friends along the way.

It's much more than a con. It's a life experience.
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

boshuda wrote:People do stuff that isn't worth it all the time out of habit, nostalgia, or who knows what other motivation. Since you guys go to this con and other cons I was curious if it was truly worth the extra hassle versus the lesser hassle of another con. I guess I wanted to hear some reasoned opinions, because I would like to go one year but it seems almost overwhelming just figuring out how to actually get to the thing. Considering the responses and the rapid fire of them I'm convinced. I'm going to have to plan on attending one of these years.
I think that you will enjoy it. It's worth attending for any comic fan, at least once.
atomic99
Special Reviewer

Post by atomic99 »

Parking Update from Ace's Facebook page......

James Young-"Ace, now that Comic-con has sold out all their tickets for the 2013 show... gotta ask, when will ace be having their "Parking Reservation for Comic Con 2013" sale? Some time in March or April?"
February 25 at 11:22am · Like

Ace Parking Management, Inc.-"We are projecting mid April, just waiting for the Comic-Con folks to let us know. Stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter pages as well as our website."
February 25 at 11:44am · Like
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

atomic99 wrote:Parking Update from Ace's Facebook page......

James Young-"Ace, now that Comic-con has sold out all their tickets for the 2013 show... gotta ask, when will ace be having their "Parking Reservation for Comic Con 2013" sale? Some time in March or April?"
February 25 at 11:22am · Like

Ace Parking Management, Inc.-"We are projecting mid April, just waiting for the Comic-Con folks to let us know. Stay tuned to our Facebook and Twitter pages as well as our website."
February 25 at 11:44am · Like
And now I know why I saw you like Ace on FB.
atomic99
Special Reviewer

Post by atomic99 »

I have to add them on Twitter too. :)

Not that I ever check the Twitter thing. Social media is great for a lot of things in comics but a hell of a distraction when trying to make comics.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

atomic99 wrote:I have to add them on Twitter too. :)

Not that I ever check the Twitter thing. Social media is great for a lot of things in comics but a hell of a distraction when trying to make comics.
If anyone notices them go for sale on FB or Twitter, please e-mail or Touch message me......

I really don't have the ability to watch these while I'm at work....
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

To the question on if the hassle you have to deal with is worth the trip to comic-con.

It totally is worth all the effort put out to attend the con.

Is it a pain trying to get tickets each year? Yes and no. You have to commit yourself to the experience early on--at least for me. I didn't go last year so I had to go through the online ticket route. But since i've gone to SDCC for 10 years i know how to play the game. even if you want to buy tickets for next years show you need to plan it out.

That's a big part of SDCC, which is having your week planned out. It also comes down to figuring out what you want out of this con, what experiences do you wish to have and remember for life. Since it offers so much more than any of the local comic shows you can achieve whatever you're looking for. But once again you have commit yourself to that and don't go in blind, unless you want to go and ride the waves and see where they take you.

I said it before on the Comic book page's 2011 SDCC episode. You always hear that SDCC is losing its Comics presence because of the growing Hollywood showings in Hall H and on the Con floor. Which isn't completely wrong. But that stuff is easy to ignore for the most part. If your main focus is silver age comic book back issues then you can enjoy yourself and have the time of your life in the dealers area. If you want to go and meet your favorite creators, you can. But you may have to choose meeting Bendis over waiting in line for the Hasbro toys booth. If your only real interest is seeing the latest Superman or other Hollywood film stars and trailers then you will need to sacrifice going to panels that day,but it's worth seeing all that stuff in a room of 20,000 people.

I guess what I'm trying to say is; you sometimes need to pick your battles and dedicate your time at the show into doing 1 or 2 areas of the show and enjoy yourself that way.

My favorite thing about going to this con is that every year is different. I never had the same convention experience twice. Each year is a new adventure. I've had years were all I did was meet creators and get sketches, another year all I did was buy toys or rare back issues, or sit in Hall H to see the Spider-man 3 trailer and Kevin Smith Q&A.

The show is what you make it. Don't over extent yourself. If you can, make sure to meet up with some friends at a bar or something and enjoy San Diego's night life.

Hanging with people from this board and talking comics is the biggest treat to the show, and I can't wait to do it again this year.