Recommendations Requested on Runs of Issues - Bronze Age

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Recommendations Requested on Runs of Issues - Bronze Age

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

I have been thinking about picking up runs of series from the Bronze Age and I am looking for some recommendations from the forum. I tend to prefer team books over individual books. I have a long run of The Avengers and Legion of Superheroes that covers the 1970s and I recently picked up the 25 issue run of Nova from 1976. The series I am thinking about picking up next is The Invaders because I remember liking the covers as kid.

I would love any suggestions from the forum on books that are a good read at a solid price. I tend to buy in the F - VF range to keep cost under control. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kevin
Last edited by HawkeyeGuy on Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MobileHome
Contributor

Post by MobileHome »

Claremont & Byrne's Iron Fist (1975-77) is a pretty solid read. Looks great too.
HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

Thanks for the suggestion. I remember Power Man and Iron Fist from the 80's but don't remember the solo series from the mid-70s. It seems like it would be hard to go wrong with Claremont and Byrne from this time period. Alpha Flight was the first series I "collected" from #1.

It may take some patience from me to get some of these at a reasonable price but a challenge can be good.

Thanks!!!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Since you asked for team books:

Marvel:
I loved the Defenders in the 70s (probably the first 80 issues). That will take you from 1972 thru 1980.
A lot of these are pretty cheap, you can find many of them in Fine for about a buck a piece.

DC:
I loved the Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes Run in the 1970s. This started in Superboy (around #195 or so), and Mike Grell came in on the art a few issues after 200 and stuck around for a couple of years. This was formally retitled to "Superboy & the Legion of Super-Heroes" around #230, though the "Legion of Super-Heroes" logo was on the cover from the beginning of their run w/Superboy.
HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

I will put The Defenders on the list (1-80). I think the few issues I have read are the ones from the Avengers / Defenders war because I picked up the TPB for that. The first few issues would be the Engelhart era when he was having solid runs on several series. I think the costs will be reasonable once I get the first 16 issues of the series. I see Len Wein after Engelhart and then Gerber. This series sounds like it will be in my sweet spot.

I have a full run of single issues of Legion of Superheroes from 195 to current in its various incarnations. I was even able to get some signed by Mike Grell when he was at a local con. I have read 195-210 and will read a set of the next five when the mood strikes. I also have the first 9 archives from DC for The Legion. This is one of the series my brother had so I have read quite a few that came out between 1974 through 1980.

Here is my list so far in the order I will pursue them:

The Invaders 1-41
Defenders 1-80
Iron Fist 1-15

Keep those suggestions coming.
comicm
Master Reviewer

Post by comicm »

I will second the Defenders by Steve Gerber.

Some of my favs:

Kamandi
New Gods
Forever People
Black Panther
The Demon
Devil Dinosaur
Omega the Unknown
Machine Man
Action Comics was great
Flash
www.geekbrunchpodcast.com - Geek Brunch
www.dcnoisepodcast.com (both available on iTunes via the iTunes store.)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Another Bronze age team book from Marvel that was fun was "The Champions". LA based team of Hercules, Ghost Rider, Black Widow, Angel & Iceman. Series ran from 1975-78, only 17 issues, so it probably is not too hard to get them all.
HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

Lot of great suggestions. Some of these aren't quite my sweet spot but I think there are a few that might might fit me.

Kamandi - I may have to wait for an omnibus or collection because these bad boys are a bit up there in price
New Gods - have the 4th World Omnibus
Forever People - have the 4th World Omnibus
Black Panther - I prefer Black Panther as an Avenger. I may actually lean towards the Priest run if I am going to pick up an extended run
The Demon - I plan to pick up the Omnibus
Devil Dinosaur - this may be the series for me to get some Kirby goodness in single issue form. A run of 9 issues that aren't way up there in price.
Omega the Unknown - cult classic is good. I won't have this at the top fo my list but it is on the list.
Machine Man - I think I would lean towards devil dinosaur over machine man
Action Comics was great - do you have a suggestion on a solid run of 12-60 issues?
Flash - do you have a suggestion on a run of 12-60 issues?
HawkeyeGuy
Visitor

Post by HawkeyeGuy »

I love the idea of The Champions. I remember some of the covers when I would go to the store. My brother had some Ghost Rider issues and I remember that fondly.

I put the list in order and I do find that the team books have filtered to the top so far.

The Champions 1-17
The Invaders 1-41
Defenders 1-80
Devil Dinosaur 1-9
Iron Fist 1-15
Omega the Unknown 1-10

Keep those suggestions coming.

Kevin