Mayo Report

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Mayo Report

Post by JohnMayo »

MisterFerro wrote:Mistake was probably the wrong word to use.

I was thinking maybe that line should have an asterisk and mention that it was overshipped and that is why the issue drop only 97 units.

I must have hit submit without adding the above into my post.
You are right, I probably should have called it out as over-shipping.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

John and TJ,
Great show as always. You were talking about Diamond warehouse in Olive Branch. That is in Mississippi. My family is from Mississippi, so I have driven through Olive Branch many times. It is outside of Memphis, TN. Many people live in Olive Branch and work in Memphis because Mississippi is cheaper to live. Also, DCBS moved alot down to Memphis as well. I'm not sure if they still have their Fort Wayne offices, but I know they moved not too long ago down to Memphis.

Thanks guys!
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

Perseus wrote:John and TJ,
Great show as always. You were talking about Diamond warehouse in Olive Branch. That is in Mississippi. My family is from Mississippi, so I have driven through Olive Branch many times. It is outside of Memphis, TN. Many people live in Olive Branch and work in Memphis because Mississippi is cheaper to live. Also, DCBS moved alot down to Memphis as well. I'm not sure if they still have their Fort Wayne offices, but I know they moved not too long ago down to Memphis.

Thanks guys!
I did some research to see if my suspicions were right, and indeed, there are three warehouses that Diamond uses: Olive Branch, MS - Memphis, TN - Plattsburgh, NY
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Perseus wrote:Also, DCBS moved alot down to Memphis as well. I'm not sure if they still have their Fort Wayne offices, but I know they moved not too long ago down to Memphis.
My comic book shipments from DCBS seem to still be coming from Fort Wayne.
Perseus
Reviewer

Post by Perseus »

JohnMayo wrote:
Perseus wrote:Also, DCBS moved alot down to Memphis as well. I'm not sure if they still have their Fort Wayne offices, but I know they moved not too long ago down to Memphis.
My comic book shipments from DCBS seem to still be coming from Fort Wayne.
A quick look into it, and it was the InStockTrades.com part of DCBS moved to Memphis. Also, DCBS acquired Tales of Wonder I believe, so I'm not sure if the move had anything to do with it.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

The New York Times is ending its graphic novel best-sellers list:

http://icv2.com/articles/news/view/3661 ... ller-lists
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

JohnMayo wrote:The New York Times is ending its graphic novel best-sellers list:

Oh NO! However will I decide what OGN or trades to buy? Oh, that's right, I will keep listening to podcasts and other readers :)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

JohnMayo wrote:The New York Times is ending its graphic novel best-sellers list:

I tend to agree with with most of Milton Griepp's analysis in the article, this is clearly a net negative for the comics industry, simply from a pure PR standpoint. While putting NYT bestselling author on the trade won't affect many comic readers' buying decisions it can have a great impact on casual readers and those not already entrenched in the hobby. It also added to the general acceptance of the art form. It also can make an impact on big box store buyers (Target, Walmart, B&N etc) and promotional dollars the distributor in the book market may put into the book.

The real interesting question to me is the why the list is being ended. Does it have a correlation to the comics industry or it purely a reflection of a weak newspaper industry? The comics industry clearly has no control here, but did the NYT end the list because it feel comics are irrelevant or was it simple cost-cutting move by the paper. If it was purely a cost-cutting move that begs the next question to me at least. If the paper did it only to save money and there is substantial PR benefit in having the list for the comics industry should Diamond, the book distributors of graphic novels & the comic publishers band together and offer a paid sponsorship to the NYT to continue the list? Some kind of deal where the NYTs would continue the list and receive an ad payment from the industry for agreeing to continue. Again we have no idea why the list was ended, but if it was a value to the industry a paid sponsorship of the list might be worth considering. Unfortunately if history has taught us anything, the comics industry is terrible at working together on this type thing for the benefit of all. The comic industry's ability to get in petty squabbles with itself instead of working together never ceases to amaze me.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

fudd71 wrote:

I tend to agree with with most of Milton Griepp's analysis in the article, this is clearly a net negative for the comics industry, simply from a pure PR standpoint. While putting NYT bestselling author on the trade won't affect many comic readers' buying decisions it can have a great impact on casual readers and those not already entrenched in the hobby. It also added to the general acceptance of the art form. It also can make an impact on big box store buyers (Target, Walmart, B&N etc) and promotional dollars the distributor in the book market may put into the book.

The real interesting question to me is the why the list is being ended. Does it have a correlation to the comics industry or it purely a reflection of a weak newspaper industry? The comics industry clearly has no control here, but did the NYT end the list because it feel comics are irrelevant or was it simple cost-cutting move by the paper. If it was purely a cost-cutting move that begs the next question to me at least. If the paper did it only to save money and there is substantial PR benefit in having the list for the comics industry should Diamond, the book distributors of graphic novels & the comic publishers band together and offer a paid sponsorship to the NYT to continue the list? Some kind of deal where the NYTs would continue the list and receive an ad payment from the industry for agreeing to continue. Again we have no idea why the list was ended, but if it was a value to the industry a paid sponsorship of the list might be worth considering. Unfortunately if history has taught us anything, the comics industry is terrible at working together on this type thing for the benefit of all. The comic industry's ability to get in petty squabbles with itself instead of working together never ceases to amaze me.
is it possible the NYT experienced the same frustration mayo report gets with - partial data and lack of transparency on numbers? since its not a complete picture?
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

We know that GotG is getting relaunched in May but what of the solo books?

Just announced @Marvel.com Rocket Reborn #1 in May 2017.

As can be seen in the Dec sales chart, Rocket Raccoon #1 was 29 in units with 59.3k but it was over-shipped to retailers by a good amount and ended up making less money than All-New Wolverine with 31.7k units.

I checked Star-Lord #6 and the text sounds final issue-ish and could be a candidate for a relaunch in May as well.
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

MisterFerro wrote:We know that GotG is getting relaunched in May but what of the solo books?

Just announced @Marvel.com Rocket Reborn #1 in May 2017.

As can be seen in the Dec sales chart, Rocket Raccoon #1 was 29 in units with 59.3k but it was over-shipped to retailers by a good amount and ended up making less money than All-New Wolverine with 31.7k units.

I checked Star-Lord #6 and the text sounds final issue-ish and could be a candidate for a relaunch in May as well.
Wow! I read the article and love the notion of
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
Technet returning. I am a huge fan of Alan Davies' Excalibur.
However Marvel continues to create jumping off points for Wednesday Warriors. Why invest in an 'ongoing' series when you can wait for the trade or Marvel Unlimited.
cgenro
Visitor

Post by cgenro »

Interesting theory as to why the Year End Numbers have been delayed....

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/02/06 ... urned-lot/
doctormo
Reviewer

Post by doctormo »

More Mighty Marvel cancellations and quick relaunches. Hot on the heels of Rocket Raccoon's relaunch comes Luke Cage #1 in May. Power Man & Iron Fist will be ending in April. Looks like by the time Bendis and Marquez's Defenders title launches each of the team members (announced so far) will have their own title.

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-luke-cage-ongoing-series/
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

doctormo wrote:More Mighty Marvel cancellations and quick relaunches. Hot on the heels of Rocket Raccoon's relaunch comes Luke Cage #1 in May. Power Man & Iron Fist will be ending in April. Looks like by the time Bendis and Marquez's Defenders title launches each of the team members (announced so far) will have their own title.

http://www.cbr.com/marvel-luke-cage-ongoing-series/
Just in time for Marvel's next big "Season" relaunch due October/November.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Marvel shipped a ton o books in January: 97 comics - almost hit the century mark

January's Top Ten
U.S.Avengers #1
Batman #14
Batman #15
Justice League/Power Rangers #1
The Walking Dead #162
All-Star Batman #6
Justice League Vs. Suicide Squad #3
Monsters Unleashed #1
Amazing Spider-Man #23
Justice League #12
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)