Marvel Digital Codes

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

doctormo
Reviewer

Marvel Digital Codes

Post by doctormo »

Looks like Marvel will be changing their digital codes policy come February.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/robsalkowit ... a0d6d73e70
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Re: Marvel Digital Codes

Post by JohnMayo »

I really wish the digital codes could be scanned by a webcam or phone. I haven't been redeeming the codes since I got behind on my reading about 6 months ago. I'm debating if it is worth the time and trouble to go through the 16 or so short boxes of comics, dig out the Marvel comics and redeem the codes.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:I really wish the digital codes could be scanned by a webcam or phone. I haven't been redeeming the codes since I got behind on my reading about 6 months ago. I'm debating if it is worth the time and trouble to go through the 16 or so short boxes of comics, dig out the Marvel comics and redeem the codes.
that's like $1000 worth of digital comics - put your intern on it
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

drew wrote:
JohnMayo wrote:I really wish the digital codes could be scanned by a webcam or phone. I haven't been redeeming the codes since I got behind on my reading about 6 months ago. I'm debating if it is worth the time and trouble to go through the 16 or so short boxes of comics, dig out the Marvel comics and redeem the codes.
that's like $1000 worth of digital comics - put your intern on it
Who is this intern you speak of?

It is a fair amount of value in those codes but it is also a fairly time consuming process to redeem them.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

gotta be some UT MarCom major hungry for the experience of working for one of the pre-eminent comic podcast companys in the country
ComicTrekker
Fan

Post by ComicTrekker »

John, I think you should sell your codes on eBay or something if you don't think you'll be redeeming them. I'll bet you could get at least a couple hundred dollars for all of them and maybe more. If you want to reduce the amount of work, you could just sell them as one lot.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

ComicTrekker wrote:John, I think you should sell your codes on eBay or something if you don't think you'll be redeeming them. I'll bet you could get at least a couple hundred dollars for all of them and maybe more. If you want to reduce the amount of work, you could just sell them as one lot.
Most of the work in harvesting the codes from the comics. I question the legality of selling the codes and I wonder if that sort of thing is why Marvel is discontinuing the bonus digital copy codes in favor of the new promotional item codes.
erickowabunga
Reviewer

Post by erickowabunga »

JohnMayo wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:I question the legality of selling the codes and I wonder if that sort of thing is why Marvel is discontinuing the bonus digital copy codes in favor of the new promotional item codes.
Legally speaking, I think you are entitled to do whatever you want with the codes. Similar to what you do with the physical book - if you want to resell it at a higher value, that is your choice.

As for why, I do think code trading and selling might have something to do with it. I also think that they feel giving us what they want to give us as free issues will get us to dabble in other titles they have.

What would be interesting to see if what the redemption rate of those codes are. Perhaps they are really low, and they think this is a way to raise the numbers?
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

JohnMayo wrote:
ComicTrekker wrote:John, I think you should sell your codes on eBay or something if you don't think you'll be redeeming them. I'll bet you could get at least a couple hundred dollars for all of them and maybe more. If you want to reduce the amount of work, you could just sell them as one lot.
Most of the work in harvesting the codes from the comics. I question the legality of selling the codes and I wonder if that sort of thing is why Marvel is discontinuing the bonus digital copy codes in favor of the new promotional item codes.
its a giant pain in the A$$, completely legal, but if you dont peel em right away the codes comes off
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

It's perfectly legal.
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

On what ground are you all stating that giving away or selling the digital codes is legal?

I'm not saying it is illegal, just that it doesn't seem to be along the line of Marvel's intent and is at least a murky area.

In the US Avengers #1 that I have in front of me as I type this, the offer is "to redeem your code for a free digital copy" and the small print clearly states "Digital copy requires purchases of a physical comics." While not explicitly stated, the intention certainly seems to be for the purchaser of the comic to be the person who redeems the code.

If Marvel feels these codes have been used to increase the readership of the comics without an increase in incoming dollars, that might help explain the shift in how they are handling upcoming digital codes. If that is the case, everyone that was giving away or selling their codes are effectively responsible for the discontinuation of the digital codes for the comic being purchased. Further, if you consider the digital code for the comic to have value, and clearly those selling and those buying the codes feel that way, then this has lead to a decrease in value for the upcoming comics while the price has stayed the same.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

if i buy any comic book - it is mine i can resell any or all of it - i can cut it into individual pages and sell them like that if i can find buyers - codes coupons covers - are all fair game
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

On second thought, perhaps I misspoke. "Perfectly legal" may be a bit of an exaggeration. In its comics, Marvel, the “owner” of the “intellectual property,” states that the “Digital copy requires purchase of a physical comic.” It is unclear what Marvel’s policy is regarding the secondary market sales of its digital codes to consumers that did not purchase a physical comic, and whether the company officially “authorizes” such sales. When Marvel Comics has been asked about its policy or opinion on the secondary market sales of its digital codes, they have always declined to comment.

Hundreds of digital comics eBay listings are out there. eBay also doesn't respond to questions about them. But, if you have concerns about the viability of selling – and buying – Marvel’s digital codes on eBay, you could always sell them to a person individually. As for the legality of it, I guess the question is this, if you were given a coupon for a free anything when you purchased something, is it illegal for you to give/sell/trade that to someone else? As far as I know the issue has never been brought to court, so there is no legal ruling on separating the physical copy from the digital copy and selling the digital copy as a separate item. I could see how the publishers might even benefit from this as it spreads the use of company's sanctioned digital copies, decreases actual piracy, and further encourages the purchase of physical copies in some instances.

Arguments I've heard that are in favor of it go by what's generally known as the "First Sale Doctrine," a company cannot sell you something and then try and dictate what you do with the content of that item in terms of buying or selling. You can't duplicate copyrighted content, but you are more than free to buy or sell it. Just as you could a comic or dvd, etc.

However, in some cases, eBay has temporarily suspended users for selling digital codes from comics or blu-rays. Eventually, if hard discs or "floppies" ever manage to go away completely, many companies will get exactly what they want- consumers never really OWNING anything, just the "rights" to view a movie or comic in your collection which they will conveniently have the ability to pull from you at their sole discretion. That's actually how iTunes purchases work now.

In the end, somebody still has to buy the physical copy to get the code, so it is still a sale for the company. Also worth noting, lots of people have them and never redeem them at all so I'm sure that off-sets quite a bit as well. If it is illegal to sell the code, I suppose it could also be argued that it is also illegal to sell the comic. In fact I've seen "Not for Resale" stamped on BluRay discs, but I've been assured that this only applies to the retailer. Once the item is sold to you, it is yours to do as you please. You bought it, you own it. No case has ever been brought to court over someone selling their digital codes that they rightfully paid for.

Do whatever you think is best. If you can find a buyer, I recommend you offset some of your comic purchasing by selling a portion of the book you aren't using.

A handy guide from BC can be read here: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/03/20 ... e-careful/
bralinator
Special Reviewer

Post by bralinator »

More on why Marvel is doing this, not the propaganda reasons they like to promote: http://www.comicsbeat.com/the-mechanics ... oad-codes/
MisterFerro
Contributor

Post by MisterFerro »

bralinator wrote:More on why Marvel is doing this, not the propaganda reasons they like to promote: http://www.comicsbeat.com/the-mechanics ... oad-codes/
This is what I think Marvel is doing as well. I view this as what the Video game Industry did around a decade ago to stop the secondary market via GameStop and other such businesses.