New in your Silver/Bronze Age Collection

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Trev
Master Reviewer

Re: New in your Silver/Bronze Age Collection

Post by Trev »

rzing20480_2000 wrote:Been a while but here's this week's snag (5/10/13):

Nice pick up randy!
rzing20480_2000
Reviewer

Post by rzing20480_2000 »

Thanks, Been searching for this one for a while at a resonable price. finally found one. Very happy with it.
An all around great guy.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Picked these up at the Long Beach Comic Expo this weekend.......

Low-ish grade, has tape on the spine in several spots, but still G or G-. Looks fairly solid other than the tape. But heck, it's FF#2

Mavey
Visitor

Post by Mavey »

I recently found my dad's old collection of books. I'm not familiar with standard Silver/Bronze Age cutoff points, but the longest run was Avengers 119-168.

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/maverike/blog/
Quick reviews of what I'm reading.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Awesome! Early FF!!
BobBretall wrote:Picked these up at the Long Beach Comic Expo this weekend.......

Low-ish grade, has tape on the spine in several spots, but still G or G-. Looks fairly solid other than the tape. But heck, it's FF#2

Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

Those Avengers books came out when I was a kid. I remember them well!
rzing20480_2000
Reviewer

Thoes are great F.F. books Bob. Great snags. Gonna be looking for some great buy's at the Motor City Comic Con this weekend. Took Friday and Saturday off for the festiveties. Good luck with The Guiness thing this weekend, wish I could be there.
An all around great guy.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

Yeah, you guys just keep blasting the pictures up here and before long, my butt will be back into buying comics to "keep" again.
Nice pics of some nice finds, guys.
rzing20480_2000
Reviewer

You don't buy them just to give them away do you??? Kinda expensive habit!!!!!
An all around great guy.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

rzing20480_2000 wrote:You don't buy them just to give them away do you??? Kinda expensive habit!!!!!
:D Yes, that it would be.
No, but as of now, I only buy current comics. Nothing, to me, worth holding onto.
I have two small comic boxes I keep my "new" comics in and after a year or two (depending on title) I put the collected runs up on Ebay, at a rate of 2 or 3 titles a pop. I do this every 2 or 3 months so. The money I make goes to buying more current comics and thus it feeds itself with no real cost to me at all.

Sure, there are some comics I still own (those not worth my time and effort putting up on Ebay), but for the most part I only keep Hardcovers. Comics that I enjoy so much I have to have them (and they display so pretty on the book-shelf)

For the Silver/Bronze Age comics, those are the ones I kinda want to get back into "collecting" and "keeping", and you guys are making it hard to avoid that expenditure.
:D
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Perry wrote:
rzing20480_2000 wrote:You don't buy them just to give them away do you??? Kinda expensive habit!!!!!
:D Yes, that it would be.
No, but as of now, I only buy current comics. Nothing, to me, worth holding onto.
I have two small comic boxes I keep my "new" comics in and after a year or two (depending on title) I put the collected runs up on Ebay, at a rate of 2 or 3 titles a pop. I do this every 2 or 3 months so. The money I make goes to buying more current comics and thus it feeds itself with no real cost to me at all.

Sure, there are some comics I still own (those not worth my time and effort putting up on Ebay), but for the most part I only keep Hardcovers. Comics that I enjoy so much I have to have them (and they display so pretty on the book-shelf)

For the Silver/Bronze Age comics, those are the ones I kinda want to get back into "collecting" and "keeping", and you guys are making it hard to avoid that expenditure.
I basically have two modes:

1. "reader" mode -- almost as you describe above, but without the trades/hc switchover. I buy current stuff and treat it as reading material contained to a specific size. Stuff comes in, stuff moves out.

2. "collector" mode -- all my gold, silver, and bronze that I have in a separate area. Classic books and runs I am working on. This is where 80% or more of the $$ in my collection are, though it is about the same size as my current stuff.
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

Trev wrote: 2. "collector" mode -- all my gold, silver, and bronze that I have in a separate area. Classic books and runs I am working on. This is where 80% or more of the $$ in my collection are, though it is about the same size as my current stuff.
Yeah, that's the mode I've been trying to avoid.
:lol:
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Perry wrote: I have two small comic boxes I keep my "new" comics in and after a year or two (depending on title) I put the collected runs up on Ebay, at a rate of 2 or 3 titles a pop. I do this every 2 or 3 months so. The money I make goes to buying more current comics and thus it feeds itself with no real cost to me at all.
this is my goal, too but its moving so slowly, think I am gonna have to pay the extra cash for an ebay store to move more books, b/c those fees are killing me
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
rzing20480_2000
Reviewer

Interesting way of doing things. I only buy what I want to collect. The new books I buy are related to the old books I collect so I keep building the collection.
An all around great guy.
rzing20480_2000
Reviewer

Heres My catches of the day from the MCCC (5/17/13)

An all around great guy.