Introduce yourself!

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by BobBretall »

simonuk wrote: I am always on the look out for new series or trades in the detective/crime solving genre and welcome any recommendations.
Hi, Simon!!!

Have you checked out the Stumptown series' by Greg Rucka published through Oni?? Excellent stuff in the crime/detective genre.
simonuk
Visitor

Post by simonuk »

BobBretall wrote:
simonuk wrote: I am always on the look out for new series or trades in the detective/crime solving genre and welcome any recommendations.
Hi, Simon!!!

Have you checked out the Stumptown series' by Greg Rucka published through Oni?? Excellent stuff in the crime/detective genre.
Thanks for the recommend. I haven't checked this out, but I liked his work on Gotham Central so I definitely give this a look.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Drew here, quit comics back in 90s with the image foil cover flood but got back into it recently when walking dead debuted and i found the original comics in trades, that led me back to my LCS and I just missed the New 52 launch, started grabbing Batman and Walking Dead and hitting local cons and now have picked up where I left off.

i've listened to dozens of different comic podcasters and you and Bob are at the top, (some are just insufferable) yours is one of the few that i will go back and listen to the old ones that I've missed

My DCBS order for April is now over 3 digit$ and you two are partially to blame :)

thanks guys
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

drew102e wrote: My DCBS order for April is now over 3 digit$ and you two are partially to blame :)
Just think of all the $$$ you're saving! (That's what I keep telling myself.....)
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

drew102e wrote:Drew here,
Welcome aboard, sir
8)
drew102e wrote:quit comics back in 90s
You are not alone. I saved a ton of money from 1992 to 1998 :) It was like my own personal Geico commercial
:D
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

simonuk wrote:Hi guys, have made a couple of posts in topics since joining the forum earlier this week, before noticing this introduce yourself topic- so here's a slightly belated introduction.

I'm Simon and I'm from the south coast of England, though currently living and working in a museum in Wales. I started reading in the early 90s when my Grandad bought me Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (we weren't allowed the word Ninja in the title of a kids show or comic in the UK!), The Real Ghostbusters and Roy of the Rovers from his local cornershop and I started working my way through the Tintin books from the local library. I dropped out during my teenage years and got back in during my late teens/early twenties when buying US comics on the internet made following series' much easier. I like the Batman universe (original eh!), but my favourite series is probably Sandman Mystery Theatre by Matt Wagner as I love detective fiction in all mediums and loved the crime solving formula mixed in with the social representations of the time and the Golden Age characters in this piece. I am always on the look out for new series or trades in the detective/crime solving genre and welcome any recommendations. Anyway look forward to joining in on the conversation on the forums.
Did you read Maze Agency when that was out? That's an interesting detective title that I recently discovered thanks to Back Issue.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

BobBretall wrote:
drew102e wrote: My DCBS order for April is now over 3 digit$ and you two are partially to blame :)
Just think of all the $$$ you're saving! (That's what I keep telling myself.....)
The more you spend the more you save!! :)

Welcome Drew.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

Perry wrote:
Welcome aboard, sir
8)
You are not alone. I saved a ton of money from 1992 to 1998 :) It was like my own personal Geico commercial
I was out from about 1992 till 2004 while going to college, starting my career, meeting my wife, etc.

Very happy to be back in the hobby. Lots of great folks here.
drew
Master Reviewer

Post by drew »

Trev wrote:
Perry wrote:
Welcome aboard, sir
8)
I was out from about 1992 till 2004 while going to college, starting my career, meeting my wife, etc.

Very happy to be back in the hobby. Lots of great folks here.
thanks - seems like a nice place...with lots o' comic knowledge
Comics For Fun and Profit(also available on iTunes and Stitcher)
ChrisGarrett
Passerby

Post by ChrisGarrett »

Howdy Everyone,

My name is Chris Garrett, I'm a comic book fan and creator. I created http://www.overtimecomics.com and have created 2 series! My wife and I fund it 'One paycheck at a time' and created the comics as quickly as we can, but as slow as we must.

Our two series are 'Turbulence' and 'Defects'

Defects: Raised in the first ‘school’ of its kind, after the birth of so many super powered children, the U.S. Government vowed to turn these troubled children into well enabled members that would give to a productive society. They were successful except for a group of ‘Defects’.

‘Turbulence’ is the story of a young man with the ability to control the wind, finally ready to step into the role of a superhero, only to find all of the other well established teams have shut down crime.

Hoping to bring my comics out there and spread the word on them, now that we have several issues created and, of course, talk about all kinds of comics!
DNArington
Fan

Post by DNArington »

Hello,
My name is David Arington. I have been a listener to the Comic Book Page podcast for a while now and have been enjoying it greatly. I am also a podcaster; I run the Helix Reviews podcast where I review all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective. Yes I am a Christian, but you don't have to worry about me preaching at you or anything like that. I do my best to remain respectful of people even if we don't agree on things of that nature. As I also said, I am a huge geek. I love sci-fi/superhero movies and, of course, comic books. I am fairly new to comics as far as reading on a monthly basis; I started with the New 52 and really picked up with Marvel Now! I love both Marvel and DC, but I tend to gravitate towards Marvel (perhaps because Spider-Man is my favorite superhero.) I’ve read some indie stuff and it has mostly been good, but I tend towards the big two.

Here are a list of the comics I am subscribed to:

All-New X-Men -- This series is always fantastic, from the writing, to the art, to the panel layout! Great Stuff!

Avengers Arena: Murder World -- Very underrated in my opinion. It is in my top 3 comics I’m reading! There is just a ton of great character stuff in this series! I actually do a mini-episode of my podcast every time an issue comes out so I can talk about it!

Cable and X-Force – A fun action packed series, but honestly this has been on the edge of my drop list for a while now. The characters just aren’t as well drawn out as I would like them to be.

Guardians of the Galaxy -- I subbed due to the upcoming movie and this is a ton of fun! It is a non-stop action packed thrill ride!

Hawkeye – Awesome! Just Awesome! It is funny, has good action, unique art, and great characters! I wasn’t expecting to like this series, but I’m hooked!

Nova – I feel pretty much the same way about this as I do about Guardians of the Galaxy, a lot of fun! The creative team just switched and I don’t think I like the new one as much as much as the previous, but we’re only one issue since the change.

Superior Spider-Man – This had a bumpy start with the first two to three issues, but since then it has been continually fantastic!

The Superior Foes of Spiderman – I haven’t decided if I’m going to continue with this series or not, but I read the first two issues and it is a hilarious look into the lives of a group of supervillains.

Uncanny X-Men – I have quite a bit of catching up to do on this, but thus far it is almost as good as All New X-Men! I love the new Cyclops!

The Indestructible Hulk -- I actually have discontinued my subscription to this, but have a few more issues to go to finish off my initial subscription. It started off great, but the last several issues went more and more downhill in my opinion

Wolverine – I like how deep they are going into the character of Logan/Wolverine in this series. It is cool to see how he has and hasn’t changed since the full on berserker days

Auqaman – A great series that made Aquaman into the BA he always should have been! I also love Mera in this series!

Batman – A solid Batman series. I like the Court of Owls as a villain, though I didn’t care for the reveal at the end. I hated the Joker story; they ruined my favorite villain. I like Clayface so his story was fun and so far so good with Year Zero.

Justice League – What I love about this series is the interaction between the characters. The way the characters bounce off each other is so much fun.

Justice League of America – I’ve been picking this one up off the stand. It isn’t as solid as JL but it is still a fun cast of characters.

And that’s it! I read random other comics and trades I pick up at my local comic shop, but this is all as far as ongoing. I would like an awesome Black Panther series, but that doesn’t seem to be in the plans. Oh well… I can’t wait to read and write on here!
Check out my podcast, Helix Reviews, for thoughts, opinions, and reviews of all kinds of media from a Christian geek perspective!
Subscribe on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/ua/podcast/hel ... d518070184
JohnMayo
Host/Owner

Post by JohnMayo »

Welcome to the forum, David.
Comic Book Page: Website || Podcast || RSS || Episodes Archive