Marvel NOW ... relaunches

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

yensid4disney
Contributor

Post by yensid4disney »

Ok, so I picked up 2 of the Marvel NOW! books today, plus I read through the Uncanny Avengers.

First Uncanny Avengers, I loved it! Yes, it read like an X-Men book, but that's part of the charm. It feels like the characters were right. The art was great as always, and I like the potential for the story. 4 out of 5 Mickeys.

Next, X-men: Legacy - This was a different take. I like the potential and the story was good. The idea that David is trying to control his powers (and how he is choosing to do so in his mind) is fascinating. I also loved the fact that part of this story takes place before the events of Avengers vs. X-men #11, and we get David's reaction to that issue's ending. Another 4 out of 5 Mickeys.

Lastly Fantastic Four - I've never been a big fan of the Fantastic Four. I know, I've just pissed off a ton of people. Sorry. That said, I really liked this take on the team! The reason for going out into space makes a ton of sense (from Reed's point of view). The fact that no one knows whats actually going on will be a terrific plot point, as will how they get to what is happening in that opening scene. The story was strong and the art was great. I look forward to reading through this series. 4 out of 5 Mickeys.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

Here are my quick thoughts on Marvel Now so far:

Loved It
All-New X-Men - Originally, I was not too happy when Marvel announced another Bendis X-Men book but after reading the first issue of this book, I say "bring it on".
Thor

Liked it (aka thought it was ok)
Uncanny Avengers
Fantastic Four
Iron Man

Do Not Like it
Wolverine & X-Men - Now I have to explain my reasons for not liking it this book. I didn't even realized that starting with #19 it was part of Marvel Now until someone mentioned it. It didn't feel like a new begining but the same storyline that Jason Aaron has been telling for over a year. Heck, even the villians of the book are still the same villians introduced in Schism. Then #20 had a guest artist. If Marvel Now is supposed to be a launch of the books/stories, why have a guest artist on the second issue. The book itself has been too campy for my tastes and I was thinking about dropping it. Now I will.

Did Not Try
Deadpool
Red She-Hulk
Avenger Assemble
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote: All-New X-Men - Originally, I was not too happy when Marvel announced another Bendis X-Men book but after reading the first issue of this book, I say "bring it on".
Did you honestly think Marvel/Bendis delivered $3.99 worth of story in this issue?

I liked the issue, but it was typical Bendis & ended on a "reveal" that Bendis has been blabbing on every interview for the past 3 months.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

BobBretall wrote:
HassanT wrote: All-New X-Men - Originally, I was not too happy when Marvel announced another Bendis X-Men book but after reading the first issue of this book, I say "bring it on".
Did you honestly think Marvel/Bendis delivered $3.99 worth of story in this issue?

I liked the issue, but it was typical Bendis & ended on a "reveal" that Bendis has been blabbing on every interview for the past 3 months.
I thought it was worth $3.99. Is it a perfect book? No. Do I think Marvel doesn't know how to promote a book without ruining the book? Yes.

Even though I knew the ending, it was still enjoyable. It was the best X-Men book I read in a long time.
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

HassanT wrote:
BobBretall wrote:

I thought it was worth $3.99. Is it a perfect book? No. Do I think Marvel doesn't know how to promote a book without ruining the book? Yes.

Even though I knew the ending, it was still enjoyable. It was the best X-Men book I read in a long time.
I agree with you. I thought All New X-Men #1 was a great read and introduction for anyone who wanted to start reading X-Men. The only con is we all knew the premise, but it's even on the cover. I can't take away from a book on how Marvel promotes it.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote:I can't take away from a book on how Marvel promotes it.
I can.... :-)

BTW, it's not just how Marvel chose to promote it. IMO, it's another Bendis book with 10 pages of story spread across an entire issue with a $3.99 price tag.

A cool story idea, but I didn't feel like the issue delivered $3.99 of value to me. Anyone who did, that's great, I can't argue with you, and you'll keep buying the book.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Here's my view of the books I've read:

Uncanny Avengers - solid - not spectacular

Thor - excellent! The story and the art were excellent - looking forward to more!

Iron Man - pedestrian - not a Land fan - and Gillen doesn't particularly excite me either.

A + X - piece of crap

FF - surprisingly good - I liked the family type interactions between the cast, and this is perhaps the best I've seen Bagley's pencils look - the Farmer inks definitely helped give it an Alan Davis feel (which is a good thing).

X-Men - not great - ok - didn't really thrill me - the whole premise seems stupid to me. If your younger self came forward in time to talk to you, you'd likely dismiss him as naive. Why would they think such a dangerous plan would work? The art was really nice.

Deadpool - piece of crap - but this has never been my cup of tea. the art was nice, though.

Avengers Assemble - mediocre to poor. I really did not like the dialogue - it felt to me like a forced attempt to do Bendis. People are quick to rag on Bendis these days - but what he does is harder than it looks. This helps prove it. The Casselli art was uninspired (really poor job on backgrounds in particular). I'm done with this book.

e
L nny
Last edited by ctowner1 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1 wrote:Here's my view of the books I've read:
FF - surprisingly good - I liked the family type interactions between the cast, and this is perhaps the best I've seen Bagely's pencils look - the Farmer inkes definitely helped give it an Alan Davis feel (which is a good thing).
You're talking about Fantastic Four here.

You can't use the shorthand FF any more because that's a completely different thing. In NOW terms, it has Ant-Man and a woman in a Thing suit with art by Allred.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
FF - surprisingly good - I liked the family type interactions between the cast, and this is perhaps the best I've seen Bagely's pencils look - the Farmer inkes definitely helped give it an Alan Davis feel (which is a good thing).

You can't use the shorthand FF any more because that's a completely different thing. In NOW terms, it has Ant-Man and a woman in a Thing suit with art by Allred.
oops! Quite right! Thanks for the correction, Bob.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
Perry
Special Reviewer

Post by Perry »

ctowner1 wrote:
BobBretall wrote:

oops! Quite right! Thanks for the correction, Bob.

e
L nny
I just started calling it F4. I refuse to allow Marvel to take away my shorthand. You got an FF comic? Fine, FANTASTIC FOUR is now F4
Take THAT Marvel
:P
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Perry wrote: I just started calling it F4. I refuse to allow Marvel to take away my shorthand. You got an FF comic? Fine, FANTASTIC FOUR is now F4
Take THAT Marvel
[WebWiz20] You get my 'seal of approval' on this one Perry, I like it!!

F4 & FF it is!
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:
Perry wrote: I just started calling it F4. I refuse to allow Marvel to take away my shorthand. You got an FF comic? Fine, FANTASTIC FOUR is now F4
Take THAT Marvel
[WebWiz20] You get my 'seal of approval' on this one Perry, I like it!!

F4 & FF it is!
I like it, too! Simple, yet elegant and perfectly clear.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Cap - piece of crap story, art by JRJR/Janson looks very nice - although a little on the cartoony side.

Hulk - Decent but nothing special. Not sure if I buy the premise. Art is very nice.

FF - mediocre. Not sure Allred is a good fit for this book, either.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
MobileHome
Contributor

Post by MobileHome »

Very much enjoyed FF#1. Allred's art injects a nice bit of fun into the book. Looking forward to future issues and seeing how Scott Lang and the FF replacements gel as a team/family.