OT: Bond on Blu-Ray (spoilers for Skyfall)

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

I have a 60" 1080p Sharp Aquos Quattron
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

Trev wrote:1080i still better than DVD. I think it's roughly similar to 720p. DVD is 480i/p depending on your player.
cool, thanks, Trev. I thought the Avengers movie looked great. I just didn't have that "wow it leaves DVD in the dust" feeling from watching it.

And IS 1080p the best these days? DO they even make 1080i anymore? When I bought my TV back in 2007 or so, I think it was (after shopping around) $2500 for a 50 inch 1080p TV and $1500 for the same size screen in 1080i, so given my budget, I went for the 1080i. Is there still a giant gap like that? Or is 1080p just the standard these days and that's all you can get, anyway?

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

ctowner1 wrote:
Trev wrote:1080i still better than DVD. I think it's roughly similar to 720p. DVD is 480i/p depending on your player.
cool, thanks, Trev. I thought the Avengers movie looked great. I just didn't have that "wow it leaves DVD in the dust" feeling from watching it.

And IS 1080p the best these days? DO they even make 1080i anymore? When I bought my TV back in 2007 or so, I think it was (after shopping around) $2500 for a 50 inch 1080p TV and $1500 for the same size screen in 1080i, so given my budget, I went for the 1080i. Is there still a giant gap like that? Or is 1080p just the standard these days and that's all you can get, anyway?

e
L nny
1080p is highest res. then it's: LCD, LED, OLED, 3D, etc.
atomic99
Special Reviewer

Post by atomic99 »

I was watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service this morning on the Blu-Ray. All is right in the world. :)

Seriously, I still need to give the disc a proper shakedown but I'm already noticing details that I didn't on the DVD. The sharper images of the scenes in the Swiss Alps look great.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

so Amazon has the complete (thru QoS) 22 blu-ray collection for $130!!

http://tinyurl.com/b7r8ndk

That's about $6 per blu-ray......I'm tempted........!

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1 wrote:so Amazon has the complete (thru QoS) 22 blu-ray collection for $130!!

http://tinyurl.com/b7r8ndk

That's about $6 per blu-ray......I'm tempted........!
If you don't have any of the Bonds on Blu-Ray it's definitely worth it. I'd buy it in a second if I had none (or only 2 or 3) of the movies on Blu-Ray.

It's ABSOLUTELY worth it to upgrade from DVD if you don;t have these movies on Blu-Ray.

I already have 16 of them on Blu-Ray, so for me it's better to look for the missing 6 on sale.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Actually, you may want to wait until next Saturday....Amazon site says:
Save on "Bond 50"
Excited about this sweet price? Check back this Saturday for an even more enticing deal as our Gold Box Deal of the Day.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:Actually, you may want to wait until next Saturday....Amazon site says:
Save on "Bond 50"
Excited about this sweet price? Check back this Saturday for an even more enticing deal as our Gold Box Deal of the Day.
Thanks! I didn't see that.

I don't own any of them in any format - but I have seen them all (mostly in the movies and TV, multiple times).

I'm on the fence - wondering if I'd ever get around to watching them if I bought them. I bought 13 Woody Allen DVD's for $52 about 8 years ago, and a couple of weeks ago I watched 2 of them bringing my total of watched DVDs to about 7 after 8 years! Plus my wife hates these movies. OTOH, my oldest son is 11, and the younger one is 8....so perhaps there's my window for watching them!

There's speculation on the amazon board that the "sweeter" deal they say they're offering on Saturday will be a miniversion of the big Bond poster book. It appears they were offering it when the price of this set was higher, and then they stopped offering when the price went down - so perhaps it'll come back.

I'm close to grabbing it - even though I know I don't need it! Guess if the Saturday price creeps down a bit more, I may jump! Thanks again for the heads up.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

ahh...here's something that says it'll go to $109:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=209013&page=3

I think I'm going to crack!
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
atomic99
Special Reviewer

Post by atomic99 »

I bought 3 of the Blu-Rays last month and redeemed my coupon code last week and went and saw Skyfall for only a buck. I really enjoyed it! A good solid film with some nods to past films. And the two leftover codes I gave out as gifts at a party last month.

I enjoyed Skyfall so much that I bought the soundtrack on Amazon.....which doesn't have the title track by Adele. :( Go figure! I had to buy that separately.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

atomic99 wrote:I bought 3 of the Blu-Rays last month and redeemed my coupon code last week and went and saw Skyfall for only a buck. I really enjoyed it! A good solid film with some nods to past films. And the two leftover codes I gave out as gifts at a party last month.

I enjoyed Skyfall so much that I bought the soundtrack on Amazon.....which doesn't have the title track by Adele. :( Go figure! I had to buy that separately.
I was a bit let down by Skyfall. I love Craig's Bond and I thought it started of spectacularly, but ended very poorly. Admittedly, I was at a very late showing and that may have impacted my enjoyment, but it seemed to me the last 1/3 of the movie was just a silly chase - and seems to me that M got a crappy death all in all.

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

ctowner1 wrote: I was a bit let down by Skyfall. I love Craig's Bond and I thought it started of spectacularly, but ended very poorly. Admittedly, I was at a very late showing and that may have impacted my enjoyment, but it seemed to me the last 1/3 of the movie was just a silly chase.
You & I officially have completely opposite tastes. A great indication that I'll like something is if you dislike it.

I thought Skyfall was probably the best Bond ever. And that's from a guy that's seen every one of the 22 movies at least 5 times.

I saw Skyfall twice opening weekends & I'll see it again.
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

I just want to throw my 2-cents in on both the Blu-rays and Skyfall.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Blu-rays and what a difference it made. I owned all of the Bond films in the MGM Special Edition single disc format and thought those were great. Those went up to The World is Not Enough and I purchased the later 3 films as they were released on DVD. Personally I thought the DVDs were very well done and didn’t think it was necessary to up-grade to the Blu-rays.

I will be the first to admit that I was completely wrong, the Blu-rays are absolutely stunning and worth upgrading to. Thanks to my wonderful wife I now own the Blu-rays and could not be happier. Apart from the amazing quality of the high definition rendering of the visuals, the DTS sound is amazing. If you have a good home theatre the sound quality truly shines. My one complaint is the lack of special features. Why the first sets of DVDs still have the best extra is beyond me. I am really glad I now own both sets and can not see parting with either.

As for Skyfall, I must say I loved it! Is it my favorite or would I consider it the best Bond? No, it was however a very good Bond film, and completely necessary. Most importantly, it fixed many of the things that were holding the series back. As good as Judy Dench is an actress, the writing has continually painted this version of M into a corner. Ever since the prison scene in The World is Not Enough, M and Bond have had too personal a relationship. I thought Skyfall fixed that in a wonderful way without simply ignoring it. It is also great to see classic characters like Moneypenny and Q back. I thought Skyfall was an entraining film, which was also an elegant way to reset Bond to the classic character we grew to love in the Connery and Moore eras.
Trev
Master Reviewer

Post by Trev »

fudd71 wrote:I just want to throw my 2-cents in on both the Blu-rays and Skyfall.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the Blu-rays and what a difference it made. I owned all of the Bond films in the MGM Special Edition single disc format and thought those were great. Those went up to The World is Not Enough and I purchased the later 3 films as they were released on DVD. Personally I thought the DVDs were very well done and didn’t think it was necessary to up-grade to the Blu-rays.

I will be the first to admit that I was completely wrong, the Blu-rays are absolutely stunning and worth upgrading to. Thanks to my wonderful wife I now own the Blu-rays and could not be happier. Apart from the amazing quality of the high definition rendering of the visuals, the DTS sound is amazing. If you have a good home theatre the sound quality truly shines. My one complaint is the lack of special features. Why the first sets of DVDs still have the best extra is beyond me. I am really glad I now own both sets and can not see parting with either.

As for Skyfall, I must say I loved it! Is it my favorite or would I consider it the best Bond? No, it was however a very good Bond film, and completely necessary. Most importantly, it fixed many of the things that were holding the series back. As good as Judy Dench is an actress, the writing has continually painted this version of M into a corner. Ever since the prison scene in The World is Not Enough, M and Bond have had too personal a relationship. I thought Skyfall fixed that in a wonderful way without simply ignoring it. It is also great to see classic characters like Moneypenny and Q back. I thought Skyfall was an entraining film, which was also an elegant way to reset Bond to the classic character we grew to love in the Connery and Moore eras.
Ok here's my questions:

Which Blu-rays did you get? 50th Ann box?

What is/was your favorite bond film before seeing skyfall?

The second question tells me what kind of bond fan you are and the first is just selfish bec I'm thinking about that box set. :)
fudd71
Master Reviewer

Post by fudd71 »

Trev wrote: Ok here's my questions:

Which Blu-rays did you get? 50th Ann box?

What is/was your favorite bond film before seeing skyfall?

The second question tells me what kind of bond fan you are and the first is just selfish bec I'm thinking about that box set. :)
The 50th Anniversary Blu-ray box set is the one I have.

The four Bond films I like the most in chronological order are:
Goldfinger
Live and Let Die
The Spy Who Loved Me
The World is Not Enough

I don't know if I could pick an absolute favorite: it is a tossup between Goldfinger and Live and Let Die