OT: Cloud Atlas

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

OT: Cloud Atlas

Post by BobBretall »

Did anyone see this movie? I love the title, it just rolls off my tongue....

My wife & I saw it on the IMAX screen last night and it was fabulous. I really liked the way the stories wove in & out of one another. I was a particular fan of the dialect in the "Big Island" sequence.

This is a movie I'll need to go see again to really catch all the extra bits of goodness.

BTW, something that could be distracting in this movie is the tendency to play "where's Waldo" with the actors in all the crazy make-up in each story. If you find yourself doing that, it does take away from your paying attention to the story.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Re: OT: Cloud Atlas

Post by GABE! »

BobBretall wrote:
BTW, something that could be distracting in this movie is the tendency to play "where's Waldo" with the actors in all the crazy make-up in each story. If you find yourself doing that, it does take away from your paying attention to the story.
I really enjoyed this movie, and like yourself, I'll have to see it again so I can catch all the concepts and messages the movie had. It's a pretty dense film.

I got very caught up with the "Where's Waldo" moments which I think caused me break my concentration and to miss bits of the movie.
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

I have not seen it yet. Rotten Tomatoes is only at 63%. Based on the user reviews I skimmed this seems like a love it or hate it movie. The length was a drawback to many people (2hr 43 min). One of the Super Reviewers called it "A beautiful fiasco".
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

[quote="Gilgabob"The length was a drawback to many people (2hr 43 min).[/quote]

People who can't sit through a long movie should not go to them. Movie lengths are public knowledge. If length was an issue, that's the easy thing to state for some underlying problem.

For my own part, the 2:43 flew by. It felt not particularly longer than any other good movie....I was totally engaged the entire time. But it's a movie where you have to pay attention, something not everyone wants to do. If you just want to sit and have images bombard you with your brain off, then this would probably come out seeming like a "beautiful fiasco" because you'd be missing a lot of the richness of the film.
Burrell
Visitor

Post by Burrell »

Has anyone read the book? I want to see the movie, but I wonder if it would be easier to grasp if you had read the book ahead of time. Or would that ruin the movie experience?
Jay in NC
Go Heels!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Burrell wrote:Has anyone read the book? I want to see the movie, but I wonder if it would be easier to grasp if you had read the book ahead of time. Or would that ruin the movie experience?
I had not read the book and I followed the movie just fine.

I'm planning to read the book now that I've seen the movie, though.
MobileHome
Contributor

Post by MobileHome »

I enjoyed the movie very much. It wasn't without its flaws however but overall, found it very entertaining. There's a lot to sink your teeth into. My initial thought leaving the theater however was, "There's no way the general movie-going audience is going to dig this movie".