Previews Spotlight #049 (Nov->Jan): Fri Nov 11th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #049 (Nov->Jan): Fri Nov 11th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

Will Previews come out on the last Wednesday of the month for a change? Apparently NOT. Dan informs us that it comes out on Nov. 2nd.

So, the Previews call will be on Friday Nov 11th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #049 show should be in by Saturday Morning, 8am pacific time, Nov 12th

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Comic Book Resources)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW

Image (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------
Ape (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Ardden (Comics Continuum)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Bluewater (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

12 Gauge
215 Ink
Antarctic
Archaia
Big Dog Ink
Moonstone
Radical
Red 5
Zenescope
Last edited by BobBretall on Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Man!!!

With last month's Previews shipping late, we just posted the October Previews episode today, and there are already solicits on the Web for November from Dark Horse, DC, & Image!!!
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

I'll be getting some more Image #1s, as usual. Fatale and Whispers sound good. Not sure on Prophet.

Has anyone read the first volumes of Nancy in Hell or Bulletproof Coffin? I may check these out but I haven't read anything previously.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote: Has anyone read the first volumes of Nancy in Hell or Bulletproof Coffin? I may check these out but I haven't read anything previously.
I read both:

Nancy - Great cheesecake art by Ryp, but the story was really weak. I'm not coming back for the sequel.

Bulletproof Coffin - This was crazy, but I loved it. You need to like Shaky Kane's art to like this book. Writing is another acquired taste, but the meta-storytelling with the comics within a comic was very well done and made the book a stand-out for me.

You may want to prowl around on-line to see if you can find some samples/previews of the 1st series of each.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Some GREAT new stuff from Image......

FATALE #1
- Brubaker! Oh, yeah!

PROPHET #21
- I love that they're bringing this back with continued numbering instead of as #1.
- I was won over by this Preview that Paul posted on the Image thread:
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/10/1 ... e-studios/

WHISPERS #1
- One Luna! Let's see what he does without his Bro!

THE BULLETPROOF COFFIN: DISINTERRED #1 (of 6)
- More of the madness that is Hine/Kane!

And the rest of the stuff that I normally get from Image
THE ACTIVITY #2
CHEW #25
THE DARKNESS #99
ELEPHANTMEN #39
HACK/SLASH #12
INVINCIBLE #89
THE LAST OF THE GREATS #4
MORIARTY #8
MORNING GLORIES #17
NEAR DEATH #5
PIGS #5
REED GUNTHER #7
SEVERED #6
THE STRANGE TALENT OF LUTHER STRODE #4 (of 6)
VESCELL #6
THE WALKING DEAD #93
XENOHOLICS #4
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

BobBretall wrote:
abysslord wrote: Has anyone read the first volumes of Nancy in Hell or Bulletproof Coffin? I may check these out but I haven't read anything previously.
I read both:

Nancy - Great cheesecake art by Ryp, but the story was really weak. I'm not coming back for the sequel.

Bulletproof Coffin - This was crazy, but I loved it. You need to like Shaky Kane's art to like this book. Writing is another acquired taste, but the meta-storytelling with the comics within a comic was very well done and made the book a stand-out for me.

You may want to prowl around on-line to see if you can find some samples/previews of the 1st series of each.
In case anyone else is in the same boat as me, I found Bulletproof Coffin #1 for free:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/28/ ... haky-kane/

I read through it quickly, no time for all the words ... seems very interesting, I'll have to see if I can find them. The comic within a comic reminded me of Twilight Guardian, pretty cool.
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #049 (Nov->Jan): Fri Nov 4th: 5pm

Post by Danscomics »

BobBretall wrote:Will Previews come out on the last Wednesday of the month for a change? If it does come out on Oct. 26th, the Previews call will be on Friday Nov 4th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Previews #278 is scheduled to ship on November 2nd.
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: Previews Spotlight #049 (Nov->Jan): Fri Nov 4th: 5pm

Post by BobBretall »

Danscomics wrote: I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Previews #278 is scheduled to ship on November 2nd.
D'OH!!!!!!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote: In case anyone else is in the same boat as me, I found Bulletproof Coffin #1 for free:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/06/28/ ... haky-kane/

I read through it quickly, no time for all the words ... seems very interesting, I'll have to see if I can find them. The comic within a comic reminded me of Twilight Guardian, pretty cool.
The comic-within-a-comic concept is the coolest thing and executed very well in BP Coffin.
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

abysslord wrote:I'll be getting some more Image #1s, as usual. Fatale and Whispers sound good. Not sure on Prophet.

Has anyone read the first volumes of Nancy in Hell or Bulletproof Coffin? I may check these out but I haven't read anything previously.
Nancy In Hell #1 is free at Comixology

https://comics.comixology.com/#/series/4615
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Here's the DC stuff I'm getting:

JUSTICE LEAGUE #5
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #5
AQUAMAN #5
WONDER WOMAN #5
THE FLASH #5
DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #5
MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #4
ACTION COMICS #5
SUPERMAN #5
SUPERBOY #5
SUPERGIRL #5
BATMAN #5
DETECTIVE COMICS #5
BIRDS OF PREY #5
BATWOMAN #5
BATGIRL #5
RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #5
HUNTRESS #4
CATWOMAN #5
NIGHTWING #5
GREEN LANTERN #5
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #5
SWAMP THING #5
ANIMAL MAN #5
RESURRECTION MAN #5
I, VAMPIRE #5
DEMON KNIGHTS #5
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS #3
ALL-STAR WESTERN #5
THE RAY #2
TEEN TITANS #5
LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #5

SUPERMAN IN ACTION COMICS ARCHIVES VOL. 6 HC

GONE TO AMERIKAY HC
AMERICAN VAMPIRE #23
FABLES #113
SWEET TOOTH #29
NORTHLANDERS #48

On these, I'm still not sure if I'll be continuing:
BLUE BEETLE #5
GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS #5
JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #5
LEGION: SECRET ORIGIN #4
THE SHADE #4
VOODOO #5
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

You have to give DC credit. They are still focus on selling the new 52 titles (along with a few minis), as oppose to launching the "next hot" books. It is a good long term strategy.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel solicits are up. Some things to note:

Iron Man 2.0 cancelled as of #12 (solicited last month):
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/10/21/iron-man-2-0-cancelled-with-issue-12/

ALPHA FLIGHT #8
• THE FINAL ISSUE!
- First it was a limited series, then it was announced to be ongoing, now it's either cancelled or back to a limited series that made it to the end, depending on how you want to look at it.

Double ship watch:
- Only 9 books.....seems to be down from a high of 17 a few months back.
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #677 & #678
DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE #19 & #20
DEADPOOL #49 & #49.1
FEAR ITSELF: THE FEARLESS #6 & #7
SECRET AVENGERS #21 & #21.1
THUNDERBOLTS #168 & #169
UNCANNY X-FORCE #19.1 & #20
UNCANNY X-MEN #4 & #5
X-MEN LEGACY #260.1 & #261

Of these I get Spider-Man & Thunderbolts.....
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel I'm Getting:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #677 & #678
AVENGERS ACADEMY #24
AVENGERS 1959 #5 (OF 5)
CAPTAIN AMERICA #7
CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY #626
DAREDEVIL #8
FANTASTIC FOUR #602
FF #14
PUNISHERMAX #21
SCARLET #7 (I still like some of Bendis' creator owned stuff, I just can't tolerate the MarvelU stuff any more)
SCARLET SPIDER #1 (I'll give this a try)
THUNDERBOLTS #168 & #169
VICTOR VON DOOM #3 (OF 4)

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: CAPTAIN AMERICA VOL. 6 HC

Hmmm..... unless I add something that puts me at only 15 Marvel comics.

Also, I'm getting that All-Winners Squad: Band of Heroes mini-series that is supposed to be 8 issues, but I didn't see #8 solicited this month.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

The solicitations of Uncanny X-Force 19.1 looks like it has nothing to do with Uncanny X-Force but a new spin-off series, Age of Apocalypse. So while I get the Uncanny X-Force on a regular basis, I will not get this .1 issue as I have no desire to read the spin-off series.