NYCC anyone ?

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

Martial
Visitor

NYCC anyone ?

Post by Martial »

So this year will be my first NYCC ... anybody got some piece of advice to share with me ?
Also, anybody here going ?

Thanks -- Martial
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

LA Rabbit (Andy) & his wife will be there, as will CTowner (Lenny).

Normal "big con" advice should apply:

* Comfortable shoes
* Bring snacks & water bottle
* Budget your money
* Plan in advance what you want to absolutely do (people to meet on show floor, panels you want to attend)
Martial
Visitor

Post by Martial »

Thanks for the useful info.

Amongst the things I want to do is to try to get a few books signed by Frank Miller, but I am still unclear if he will do any other signing than is latest (Holy Terror), hoping he will.
Also Jim Lee, Geoff Johns ... Garth Ennis, Steve Dillon :)

I spent a few hours going through the list of guests and people in the artist alley to try to get a realistic list of people to meet ... we will see how it goes

To me it is more to meet a few writer / artists and I will have to be good about my money for sure, but looking at Baltimore Comic Con, it is not looking to good with people now accepting credit card payments with square or paypal ...

As to people on the forum to recognize me, I ought to be the only one to wear a 'Babylon 5' logo-ed cap while on the show floor :)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Martial wrote: As to people on the forum to recognize me, I ought to be the only one to wear a 'Babylon 5' logo-ed cap while on the show floor :)
I think there'll be a LOT of people on the show floor, you may not randomly run into people you've never met before.

I suggest you PM LA Rabbit & ctowner1, introduce yourself as a fellow CBP forum member & ask them if they know of any get togethers that are happening. You can hit one of those if possible & meet a variety of people.
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

BobBretall wrote:LA Rabbit (Andy) & his wife will be there, as will CTowner (Lenny).

Normal "big con" advice should apply:

* Comfortable shoes
* Bring snacks & water bottle
* Budget your money
* Plan in advance what you want to absolutely do (people to meet on show floor, panels you want to attend)
Good advice all around here. I would add that food (and beverages) right outside the doors of the convention center is MUCH cheaper than food inside the Javits Center. You can get tasty gyros or hot dogs or pretzels and other things from the multiple carts that are set up in the 2 or 3 blocks in front.

Planning is always good. I don't even try for the big panels, b/c some of them have crazy long lines, and not worth my time to wait on line for over an hour to find out what'll be online within the hour.

There are cash machines on the floor of the show, but sometimes they have really long lines (plus fees).

The Kirby Krackle/H2Awesome show Friday night (about a 10 minute walk from the Javits Center) is sure to be a lot of fun. Could have a decent podcast crowd there.

If you're not from NY, depending on where you're staying, subways are a cheap and efficient way to get around town (although the main lines are about a 15 minute walk from the Javits Center).

I'll be there Fri, Sat, Sun.

e
L nyy
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

My wife and I will be there Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have never been to NYCC so I have no idea. I have been to San Diego 4 or 5 times, and the big thing I can say is have some patience.

Lines can be long and things can fill up but just enjoy it. Look around. I spend most of my time on the floor. I like to cruise artist alley, small press and the exhibitors. If there is some panel you must see, get there way ahead of time. Otherwise just go with the flow. Very excited to see some east coast comic people.
LA Rabbit
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Andy/Lenny -

Are there any set dinners or get-togethers of folks (that are open to groups of forum-ites) that you have a line on for NYCC?
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

Nothing I know about that is set, but I am definitely meeting up with Steve Raker, frequent contributor to the Marvel Noise Podcast, and he is sharing some rooms with some of the 11 O'Clock Podcast people (who I also hope to meet). I am excited to see those east coast types who never make it west. I hope there are going to be things but really playing it by ear on this one.
LA Rabbit
BadDeacon
Reviewer

Post by BadDeacon »

Last time I went to NYCC (Feb, 2009, I think?) I loved it. It was a great show. If had a bit more money than I actually do, I'd probably fly over for the show.

It is like a really big Wondercon, or like a San Diego Comic-Con without the Hollywood.

Have fun!
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

The only quasi-official get-together I know of is Rock Comicon 2 - the Kirby Krackle/H2Awesome show on Friday night - that's sponsored by 2 different podcasts (including Indie Spinner Rack, whose co-host Charlito is in H2Awesome), among others. I heard mention that it might sell out (although it's a general admission type thing, so don't know if that's really true), but I went ahead and bought my ticket ($12+a small online fee). Here a link about it:

http://events.nydailynews.com/manhattan ... -h2awesome

I'd be interested in hearing about any additional stuff, too - particularly for Saturday night.

e
L nny
Last edited by ctowner1 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
ctowner1
Master Reviewer

Post by ctowner1 »

LA Rabbit wrote: Lines can be long and things can fill up but just enjoy it. Look around. I spend most of my time on the floor. I like to cruise artist alley, small press and the exhibitors. If there is some panel you must see, get there way ahead of time. Otherwise just go with the flow. Very excited to see some east coast comic people.
I agree. Probably my favorite aspect of the whole show is just walking around the floor and taking it all in - you're 100% surrounded by like-minded people, and every direction you turn is something cool to see, from a plethora of different comics, to exhibits, to tables and boxes with comics, to artists alley.

Definitely wear the most comfortable shoes you own - that's my #1 issue during a weekend like this - footcare! :roll:

e
L nny
Z-GIRL & THE 4 TIGERS!
Martial
Visitor

Post by Martial »

Thank you all for your very useful piece of information
Good to know a few other people will be around
I am going to try to plan my things to do first tomorrow
BoomerZ
Passerby

Post by BoomerZ »

Martial wrote:Thanks for the useful info.
As to people on the forum to recognize me, I ought to be the only one to wear a 'Babylon 5' logo-ed cap while on the show floor :)
Martial, it was a pleasure talking to you yesterday in the lounge. Glad to hear you had a good con.
Martial
Visitor

Post by Martial »

BoomerZ wrote:Martial, it was a pleasure talking to you yesterday in the lounge. Glad to hear you had a good con.
It was my pleasure :)

All in all it was a good show, just finally getting done adding my signed book list to my DB.
I did not do any panel, and did not get to the Autographing area.
Of my to-get-signed books, I missed Goeff Johns and a few others, but I had a blast in Artist Alley and got wonderful commissions from Terry Moore, Mike Wolfer, Philippe Briones, Nei Ruffino, Paul Renaud, Daniel Govar, Franchesco (so many good artists, I am afraid to forget and insult somebody) and will likely try to join Comic Arts Fan (?) to share those with like minded people.

My only down side was the cost of the thing ... travel + ticket + food + hotel cost me more than I spent on the show floor ... still very happy I went; it might be a one time thing since it is too close to the Baltimore Comic Con for me (and Baltimore is "local" -- 1h30 drive) but I might try "Heroes Con".

Sad point, was the fact that a lot of the vendors were not able to process payment due to cell phone reception issues, but a couple of them (Mr Moore and Heroes Initiative) allowed me to pay them via Paypal after the con.

Still it was wonderful meeting Jim Lee, Garth Ennis, Chris Claremont, Frank Miller, ... and a few like minded people ! :)

(and it gave me a chance to chat with Artists and Writers about their books and possible future commissions)
Martial
Visitor

Post by Martial »

I also just started posting some of the commissions I picked up at NYCC: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=78198