Previews Spotlight #045 (Jul->Sep): Fri Jul 8th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #045 (Jul->Sep): Fri Jul 8th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

The new Previews should be out on Wed June 27th.

This will put the Previews call on Friday July 8th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

NOTE!!!! We'd like to do a special Previews show covering all of the "New 52" from DC...... If you want to submit DC picks for that show, follow the link below to the DC solicits and get us your submissions by Friday June 24th.....

Submissions for the Regular Previews Spotlight #045 show should be in by Midnight on Friday July 8th

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Newsarama)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW (Comics Continuum)

Image (Comics Continuum)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------
12 Gauge

Ape (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Ardden Entertainment (Newsarama)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Big Dog Ink

Bluewater (Comics Continuum)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Moonstone (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Radical

Red 5 (Comics Continuum)

Zenescope (Comics Continuum)
Last edited by BobBretall on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 12 times in total.
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

The Spider-Island tie-ins are getting a little silly.
Spider-Island: I LOVE NEW YORK CITY #1
Written by Greg Rucka, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Joe Caramagna, & Skottie Young
Art by Max Fiumara
Cover by Mike Del Mundo
SPIDER-ISLAND TIE IN!
Start Webbing the News! It’s a swinging tribute to New York City as the Big Apple is overwhelmed by the threat of Spider-Island! The citizens of the Big Apple nay have gained Spider-Powers, but that doesn’t mean they have any of the responsibility! See the summer’s biggest Spidey-Event through the eyes of folks just like you as they deal with the new found hero inside them all.
Plus award-winning writer Greg Rucka presents a very violent look at how the Punisher deals with a world where every criminal is now a super hero. (Here’s a hint: he doesn’t deal with it pleasantly.)
32 PGS./One-Shot/Rated T+ …$2.99
zzzzzz
Ratenef
Fan

DC Comics Previews -- my dibs?!

Post by Ratenef »

Gents,

I will get some recordings to you about the DC comics I've listed below.

Aquaman
Batman
Batwoman
Justice League Dark
Justice Leauge International
Suicide Squad
The Fury of Firestorm
Ressurection Man

If I've 'dibbed' too many, let me know and I'll try and pull back accordingly.

Thanks!
Trevor
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: DC Comics Previews -- my dibs?!

Post by BobBretall »

Ratenef wrote: If I've 'dibbed' too many, let me know and I'll try and pull back accordingly.

Thanks!
Trevor
Thanks, Trevor! I look forward to hearing your thoughts......

If anyone else has REALLY strong desires to do one or 2 of the 8 you picked, they can maybe work it out with you here or via PM.....

Hopefully we'll be getting some more people to send in clips on some more of the 52......
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Image solicits are up!!! Will Bob get more Image books than Marvel for the 3rd month in a row? Time will tell.....

Some new stuff that caught my eye:
PIGS #1
Written by NATE COSBY & BEN McCOOL art BRENO TEMURA cover JOCK
ISSUE ONE: HELLO, CRUEL WORLD A KGB sleeper cell has been in Cuba since 1962. And now they're coming to kill you. NATE COSBY (MARVEL), BEN McCOOL (CHOKER, MEMOIR) and hotshot newcomer artist BRENO TEMURA present PIGS, an ongoing series set to join Image's elite ranks. Terrorists have descended on America, assigned to destroy everything in their path...but why, and why now?
Sounded great when they announced it back at WonderCon, I'm definitely getting on board for this one....
'68: JUNGLE JIM
Written by MARK KIDWELL art NATE VAN DYKE & JAY FOTOS cover A NATE VAN DYKE cover B NAT JONES & JAY FOTOS
Vietnam, 1968: Behind enemy lines, a soldier stands alone. A one-man army...armored against the risen, hungry dead under burlap, bamboo and Army green. Armored against the living with a Bowie knife and a mobile arsenal. If you got left behind...he'll find you. If you're the enemy...you'll never see him coming. If you're a zombie...he'll kill you again. Sometimes, to slay monsters...you have to become one yourself. Jungle Jim is a stand-alone one-shot comic story set in the grim world of '68.
Anyone else out there loving the "Zombie in 'Nam"??
LOVESTRUCK OGN
Written by DENNIS HOPELESS art KEVIN MELLON cover ERIK JONES
It's a love story, but not like you think. There's no boy meets girl or star-crossed soul mates. Love is a billion-dollar industry. Cupid's the megalomaniac CEO.Ê And Kali Monroe gets paid to break your heart. Love is all around us. These are the pricks who control it.
192 pages, $16.99, in stores on Sept. 21.
I'm a big fan of Hopeless/Mellon (anyone else remember Gearhead??). I'll be all over this one!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel Double-ship report for July - 15 titles:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #669 & 670
BLACK PANTHER #523 & 523.1
DAREDEVIL #3 & 4
FEAR ITSELF: HULK VS. DRACULA #1 & 2
HERC #7 & 8
HEROES FOR HIRE #11 & 12
HULK #40 & 41
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #627 & 628
NEW AVENGERS #16 & 16.1
THUNDERBOLTS #523 & 523.1
ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #1 & 2
WOLVERINE #15 & 16
X-FACTOR #224.1 & 225
X-MEN #17 & 18
X-MEN LEGACY #255 & 256

Well, Marvel drove me off of Herc by double-shipping this month.....
Series I'm On the Fence About + Double Ship = Dropped!
boshuda
Special Reviewer

What does OGN mean?

Post by boshuda »

BobBretall wrote:
LOVESTRUCK OGN
Written by DENNIS HOPELESS art KEVIN MELLON cover ERIK JONES
It's a love story, but not like you think. There's no boy meets girl or star-crossed soul mates. Love is a billion-dollar industry. Cupid's the megalomaniac CEO.Ê And Kali Monroe gets paid to break your heart. Love is all around us. These are the pricks who control it.
192 pages, $16.99, in stores on Sept. 21.
I'm a big fan of Hopeless/Mellon (anyone else remember Gearhead??). I'll be all over this one!
I've never read Gearhead (or even heard of it :oops: ), but the premise of this sounds pretty cool, and I probably would have overlooked it.

Since this is listed as Lovestruck OGN, does that mean Original Graphic Novel and the original format is as a graphic novel? As opposed to a collection of monthlies?
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: What does OGN mean?

Post by BobBretall »

boshuda wrote: Since this is listed as Lovestruck OGN, does that mean Original Graphic Novel and the original format is as a graphic novel? As opposed to a collection of monthlies?
That is correct! It's 192 pages originally published here in GN format.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: What does OGN mean?

Post by BobBretall »

boshuda wrote: I've never read Gearhead (or even heard of it :oops: ), but the premise of this sounds pretty cool, and I probably would have overlooked it.
A quick search shows me that you can read the 1st 10 pages of each issue of Gearhead on-line for FREE!!!

Here are links:
Issue #1: http://issuu.com/mellon/docs/gearheadon ... ipBtn=true

Issue 2: http://issuu.com/mellon/docs/gearheadtw ... ipBtn=true

Issue 3: http://issuu.com/mellon/docs/gearheadth ... ipBtn=true

Issue 4: http://issuu.com/mellon/docs/gearheadfo ... ipBtn=true

Check it out & see if the art appeals to you!
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Sweet find!

Post by boshuda »

BobBretall wrote:A quick search shows me that you can read the 1st 10 pages of each issue of Gearhead on-line for FREE!!!

Check it out & see if the art appeals to you!
It looks like the full issues are there (I skipped through issue 1 and glanced at 2) and the story appears to be great. I though it was just going to be some grease-monkey, drag-racer-girl comic - then the girl's discovery of her dad and the ensuing conflict -- sweet! The writing and the art complement each other nicely. The art gives it a down 'n' out blue-collar feel that seems wholly appropriate to the story. I'll have to remember to add Lovestruck to my DCBS order next time!
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Hawk and Dove

Post by boshuda »

I think I'm going to try and record a snippet for Hawk & Dove. I've listened to a few of the Previews show, so I'm wondering if there are some limitations you like to have?

Length of time?
Stay on topic, or ramble a bit?
Do you appreciate people removing the 'ums, ahs, likes' etc, or leave them in?

Anything else?
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Re: Hawk and Dove

Post by BobBretall »

boshuda wrote:I think I'm going to try and record a snippet for Hawk & Dove. I've listened to a few of the Previews show, so I'm wondering if there are some limitations you like to have?

Length of time?
Stay on topic, or ramble a bit?

Anything else?
Length of time? Really up to you, but don't get ridiculous and send in 10 minutes about a single book. If you have 2 minutes or 5 of thoughts on why you are excited about a book, go with it......

Stay on topic, or ramble a bit? Generally stay on the topic of the book you are discussing. A short aside is fine, but not a long rambling discourse on some unrelated topic. Also, if you do multiple books, one book per MP3 file.

Up to your personal preference, time you want to spend & editing skill......

Oh, and generally, as should go without saying, send in clips about stuff you are absolutely excited about seeing, not about why you think something will suck :-)
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

BobBretall wrote:Marvel Double-ship report for July - 15 titles:

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #669 & 670
BLACK PANTHER #523 & 523.1
DAREDEVIL #3 & 4
FEAR ITSELF: HULK VS. DRACULA #1 & 2
HERC #7 & 8
HEROES FOR HIRE #11 & 12
HULK #40 & 41
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #627 & 628
NEW AVENGERS #16 & 16.1
THUNDERBOLTS #523 & 523.1
ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #1 & 2
WOLVERINE #15 & 16
X-FACTOR #224.1 & 225
X-MEN #17 & 18
X-MEN LEGACY #255 & 256

Well, Marvel drove me off of Herc by double-shipping this month.....
I think I would read more Marvel comics if it wasn't for the double-shipping. I mean, I could understand on their top selling books, but on their low selling books?
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote: Well, Marvel drove me off of Herc by double-shipping this month.....
I think I would read more Marvel comics if it wasn't for the double-shipping. I mean, I could understand on their top selling books, but on their low selling books?[/quote]

I think Marvel's theory must be that most people who are still getting those titles must be digging them, so double-shipping will increase their revenue in a given month for that title. Even if some % of people stop getting the title, it still increases overall revenue for that month. If sales get too low, they can the book & reset to #1 with some minor changes. Repeat as necessary.

It actually seems to be damaging them in the long term for short-term gains.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Double-shipping is just one more symptom

Post by boshuda »

BobBretall wrote:I think Marvel's theory must be that most people who are still getting those titles must be digging them, so double-shipping will increase their revenue in a given month for that title. Even if some % of people stop getting the title, it still increases overall revenue for that month. If sales get too low, they can the book & reset to #1 with some minor changes. Repeat as necessary.

It actually seems to be damaging them in the long term for short-term gains.
Is anything Marvel (or DC with the possible exception of this refresh thing) is doing help long-term growth? They seem to have adopted the standard American business model of ridiculous, unsustainable growth quarter-to-quarter, rather than a more sane approach of either steady progress over a long time span or maintaining one's position. This seems even more foolish given the much longer timescale that comics must inevitably deal with compared to other industries given the time that passes between issues and how little can be done within a given issue.

Events, new number ones, lots of mini-series, too many titles in a given family, over-exposure of some key characters -- all of these generate short-term sales but I don't think any of them help long-term numbers.

Having written all that, is it possible that they're double-shipping to either catch up titles that have shipped late in the past, or speed them up a bit in order to bring their storyline more in-line with other things going on in the Marvel universe? Like resolving an internal storyline before forcing the writers to deal with the conclusion/aftermath of Fear Itself?