Previews Spotlight #044 (Jun->Aug): Fri Jun 10th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Ardden/Atlas solicits are up......
THE GRIM GHOST #6
Writers: Stephen Susco & Tony Isabella
Artist: Kelley Jones
It's the battle for the Fringe! Friends becoming unyielding foes! Enemies going all out to settle centuries-old scores! Dark secrets revealed! Surprises around every corner! Lives and afterlives will be changed forever! But no one gets out of the Fringe alive...or do they?

PHOENIX #6
Writers: Jim Krueger & Brendan Deneen
Artist: Dean Zachary
It all comes down to this! The first electrifying Phoenix story-arc comes to a conclusion as Ed takes the fight back to the aliens who abducted him! But nothing is what it seems as enemies become allies and allies become bitter foes!

WULF #6
Writer: Steve Niles
Artist: Nat Jones
The battle for two worlds concludes here! It's Wulf, Iron Jaw and Lomax vs the growing power of Sanjon! But there are other forces at work, and our heroes will have to use all of their strength and cunning to survive the battle! This issue sets up the next exciting arc in the Wulf series!
Bit of a backtrack on "cutting back on comics" for me. I had planned to stop these titles after #4, but with some story arcs wrapping up with the #6 issues, I'm going to go ahead & get #5 & 6 of Phoenix & Wulf, I'll still be stopping Grim Ghost at #4 (this was my least favorite of the 3)......
cgenro
Visitor

Post by cgenro »

I`m very excited for Cloak and Dagger!! We haven`t really seen them since that one shot a year or so ago and I`ve always been a big fan.

Also it looks like we might actually have a great creative team on Punisher after the horrible mess we`ve had to live through over the past couple of years with the 616 Punisher. The MAX series has always been amazing but he just doesn`t fit in the Marvel Universe anymore.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

BobBretall wrote:From Moonstone:
JUSTICE MACHINE #1
Written by Mark Ellis, art by David Enebral and Mar Degano, cover by Jeff Siemons.
The Justice Machine is back! The legendary super-team returns on the 30th anniversary of their 1981 debut! The Justice Machine fought to destroy tyranny on two worlds -- but nearly twenty years ago they vanished, never to be seen again. Until now! The Machine's explosive return plunges them into a nightmarish landscape of two realities warring for dominion! The team races to thwart a dark destiny awaiting all humanity if they fail to stop an unspeakable evil from gaining a foothold to the future!
John, you might remember this series from many moons ago! Anyone else?
Didn't Comico published this decades ago?
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

John/ Bob,

What are your picks this month?
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

HassanT wrote:John/ Bob,
What are your picks this month?
DC
SUPERMAN BEYOND #0
From the hit comic series BATMAN BEYOND comes the adventures of The Man of Tomorrow in the DC Universe of the future.

XOMBI #6
How is it possible to defeat someone who claims to see every moment of the future and plans for every eventuality? Unless David Kim and Annie Palmer can find an answer to this deadly puzzle, their lives – and the Ninth Stronghold – will be lost forever.

HELLBLAZER #282
Written by PETER MILLIGAN • Art and cover by SIMON BISLEY
Don’t miss this startling stand-alone tale! In a British prison, a shape-shifting product of the Babylonian backstreets called Julian is about to have some fun at the prisoners’ expense. Now, the prison has become a kind of living Hell – even more than before – which should make John Constantine feel right at home when he poses as an inmate and tries to dish out his own rough justice to demonic prisoner number 666.

IDW
ANNE RICE'S SERVANT OF THE BONES #1
Anne Rice, among the most iconic creators in horror, brings one of her richest stories to IDW in this six-part tale of murder, demonic revenge, and the redemptive power of faith. When a beautiful young woman is brutally slain in the streets of New York City, the demon Azriel sets out to discover who killed her, only to find a far more sinister plot that could end the world. Once a human in ancient Babylon, Azriel is a spirit of rage and terror that gradually rediscovers his humanity through holy vengeance and spiritual love.

THE VAULT #1 (of 3) (interview w/writer Sam Sarkar)
A small team of treasure hunters struggles to excavate a dangerous and legendary treasure pit before a massive storm hits Sable Island, the “Graveyard of the North Atlantic”. Equipped with all the latest technology, the scientists believe they are prepared against all of nature's fury, but nothing can prepare them for what they are about to unleash from The Vault.

'68: HARDSHIP (ONE-SHOT)
In February of 1968, Teddy Calhoun came home from Vietnam and brought a piece of the war back with him. Through a prism of battle fatigue and schizophrenia, his vision of Nebraska has changed into a threatening landscape of violence and enemy occupation. Now, Teddy will do whatever he must to protect his family from the murderous approach of “Charlie” and an army of the risen, hungry dead.

SWEETS: A NEW ORLEANS CRIME STORY TP (interview w/ Kody Chamberlain - conducted by Amber)
A spree killer terrorizes New Orleans days before Hurricane Katrina makes landfall. Detective Curt Delatte just buried his only daughter, he’s in no condition to work. But when the bodies pile up, he masks his grief and joins the hunt through the bowels of the Big Easy. It won’t be long until his city, and his evidence, gets washed away.

Marvel
SPIDER-ISLAND: CLOAK & DAGGER #1 (of 3)
The fan-favorite, critically acclaimed team of Nick Spencer (IRON MAN 2.0) and Emma Rios (OSBORN) answers the overwhelming demands of readers, and puts the beloved heroes Cloak & Dagger back in action…in SPIDER-ISLAND!

THE PUNISHER #1
TIME TO GET BACK TO WORK.
For Frank Castle death comes easy...life is where things gets complicated. Fully loaded with the Eisner winning writer Greg Rucka (Batwoman, Queen and Country, WOLVERINE) and neo-superstar artist Marco Checchetto (Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil), the BIGGEST GUN of all returns with blood on his hands and vengeance in his eyes.

AAM Markosia
Discord OGN (interview w/writer Paul Salamoff)

Aspen
BROKEN PIECES #0 (interview w/writer Mark Roslan)
What is lost in life is found in death!
Aspen Comics offers its newest original series, Broken Pieces!
In a future torn apart by the deadly catastrophe of biological contamination, pollution and corporate greed, one man will discover an even more tragic fate. Dr. Richard Adams, along with his loving wife, Dr. Gabriella Adams, stood at the forefront of research in advanced medicine and bio-rejuvenation. However, one fateful and fatal-- moment will change everything about their purpose, their relationship, and each other. When the tragedy of events literally tears apart everything about his being, Richard is left with no choice but to pick up the fragmented pieces of his reality in order to save his wife -- as well as potentially the fate of mankind.

Dynamite
THE LIVING CORPSE: EXHUMED #1 (interview w/ Ken Haeser & Buz Hasson - conducted by Bob & Damian Smith)
The Living Corpse rises from the grave in an all-new 6-issue mini-series! It's hard enough to be The Living Corpse -- the flies, the hunger for human brains, and the unending task of holding off the hordes of darkness from creeping into the world of the living. But when a Nosferatu suddenly moves into his graveyard, all hell breaks loose! And what will happen when The Living Corpse's friend, Lilith, get's caught in the middle? It's a battle of the undead and only one will be left standing!

Moonstone
JUSTICE MACHINE #1 (interview w/ writer by Mark Ellis)
The Justice Machine is back! The legendary super-team returns on the 30th anniversary of their 1981 debut! The Justice Machine fought to destroy tyranny on two worlds -- but nearly twenty years ago they vanished, never to be seen again. Until now! The Machine's explosive return plunges them into a nightmarish landscape of two realities warring for dominion! The team races to thwart a dark destiny awaiting all humanity if they fail to stop an unspeakable evil from gaining a foothold to the future!
yensid4disney
Contributor

Post by yensid4disney »

Who will be hosting this month's call?
amunptah
Fan

Post by amunptah »

Hi John/Bob,
My picks to talk about this month are:

Star Wars - Knight Errant:Deluge #1
Driver: Crossing the Line #1
Halcyon TP
Criminal: The Last of the Innocent #3

I'm recording my blurb on these now, unless anyone else has called dibs on them?
Lord Shaper
Special Reviewer

Post by Lord Shaper »

I've only came across 3 that have jumped out at me so far but I'm going to have another look through previews while I'm here at work today

My picks will be:
Batman Beyond #8
TMNT #1
The Living Corpse #1

With all the news of DC rebooting 52 titles as of September is that putting any of you off getting anything from DC from this previews as there might be a chance it's going to go nowhere?
BoomerZ
Passerby

Post by BoomerZ »

Hi guys!

Hoping that I can call dibs on audio clips for these two:

SHOWCASE PRESENTS ALL-STAR COMICS
ROCKETEER ADVENTURES #4

Also hoping that I'll be able to join in on the call tomorrow night.
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

This is a stupid question but I've never seen a previews book as I don't really go to a local shop. Is there a Marvels preview book, and then a preview book that has every publisher? And the cover price is $4.50?

So is this a massive book? And what is in it? A list of every comic coming out that month along with a lot of previews and ads?

I was going to order the one coming out at the end of this month, but can't I really get all the same information online nowadays?
Danscomics
Special Reviewer

Post by Danscomics »

abysslord wrote:This is a stupid question but I've never seen a previews book as I don't really go to a local shop. Is there a Marvels preview book, and then a preview book that has every publisher? And the cover price is $4.50?

So is this a massive book? And what is in it? A list of every comic coming out that month along with a lot of previews and ads?

I was going to order the one coming out at the end of this month, but can't I really get all the same information online nowadays?
There are two books for Previews, The main Previews book which has everything except Marvel in it, and then a Marvel book. It is basically set up like a catalog with cover images for some books, previews of some, and everything that Diamond is soliciting for the month. As to whether you can get both books for the cover price, that depends on who you are buying it from. In theory you should be able to because retailers get 1 copy of the Marvel one for free for each copy of the main Previews that is ordered, but they don't necessarily have to pass that on to the customer.
We now have digital comics for sale. Check out our shop

Looking for comics or games? Check out my main store and Comic Collector Live store. You can also sign up for the Comic Collector's Club subscription service on my main site.
boshuda
Special Reviewer

Previews

Post by boshuda »

abysslord wrote:This is a stupid question but I've never seen a previews book as I don't really go to a local shop. Is there a Marvels preview book, and then a preview book that has every publisher? And the cover price is $4.50?
There is one large Previews book, and a supplement Marvel Previews. I think it's $4.50 and I'm pretty sure you get the Marvels one for that price, or the Marvels one is $1.25 on it's own.
abysslord wrote:So is this a massive book? And what is in it? A list of every comic coming out that month along with a lot of previews and ads?
It's about 3/4-1 inch thick, magazine size, and is printed on higher quality newsprint in color with a glue binding. The Marvel Preview is more in the format of a really thick comic with glossy paper and staples. They feature comic and trade solicitations as well as related books, magazines, toys, games, apparel, and misc (key chains, ice-cube trays, whatever). The ads are integrated, since it's essentially one big ad book. The Diamond folks highlight certain items, and there is some sales data on the flip-side. There are also sometimes interviews and the type of thing you might expect in a trade magazine - but this stuff is really limited and not worth buying Previews for.
abysslord wrote:I was going to order the one coming out at the end of this month, but can't I really get all the same information online nowadays?
Some sites feature searchable versions of Previews, including DCBS and Comixology. The individual vendors also put the solicitations online (they're linked on the original post of this topic).
Gilgabob
Special Reviewer

Post by Gilgabob »

Lord Shaper wrote:With all the news of DC rebooting 52 titles as of September is that putting any of you off getting anything from DC from this previews as there might be a chance it's going to go nowhere?
I was wondering about this too. It will be interesting to see DC's sales numbers on the "lame duck" titles being released between now and the relaunch.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Gilgabob wrote:
Lord Shaper wrote:With all the news of DC rebooting 52 titles as of September is that putting any of you off getting anything from DC from this previews as there might be a chance it's going to go nowhere?
I was wondering about this too. It will be interesting to see DC's sales numbers on the "lame duck" titles being released between now and the relaunch.
I can't see people who are getting/reading books dropping them in droves for 2 months & not seeing the end of the current storyline they are reading.

For people NOT reading them, there is zero reason to jump on board, though. Though, they could check out the Flashpoint minis, there are plenty of them, and they're pretty good.
HassanT
Master Reviewer

Post by HassanT »

I am going to submit three quick ones I just did:

Flashpoint: Secret Seven #3
Flashpoint: Deathstroke #3
Batman: Gates of Gotham #4 and #5