Previews Spotlight #044 (Jun->Aug): Fri Jun 10th: 5pm pac

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Previews Spotlight #044 (Jun->Aug): Fri Jun 10th: 5pm pac

Post by BobBretall »

EDIT: The new Previews is shipping LATE again this month. Instead of shipping on the last Wednesday of the month (May 25th) it will ship on Wed June 1st.

This will put the Previews call on Friday June 10th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.

As always, get on Skype around the start time (or join any time after, the call can run 4 hours of rousing comics chat) and look for thejohnmayo OR BobBretall & message to get joined into the call.

Submissions for the Previews Spotlight #044 show should be in by Midnight on Friday June 10th

Of course you can start sending in submissions as soon as you have them done. Sending them in early is appreciated as it give us more time to organize the clips and plan out the episode.

Discuss any of the new comics AND call dibs on reviewing any particular comic on this thread.

Remember: We encourage anyone to send in a short audio clip where they can talk about any book that's coming out in the upcoming Previews that they are really excited about. The email address to send the clips to is TheGuys@ComicBookPage.com. (Some people were only send them to either just John or just Bob and we both need to get them to prepare to recording the episode. By using TheGuys email address, the email goes to both Bob and John.)

PLEASE: Each featured item should be in a separate audio file.

We would also appreciate it if you put the page number followed by the full name of the item in the filename. If you don't know the page number, that is fine. Just leave it off. But having the full name of the item the clip is for makes it much easier for us to organize the files and prepare for recording the episode.
Tips on how to record a clip can be found here.

Dark Horse (Newsarama)

DC (Comic Book Resources)

IDW (Comics Continuum)

Image (Comic Book Resources)

Marvel (Comic Book Resources)

--------------------------------------------
12 Gauge (Comics Continuum)

Ape (Comics Continuum)

Archie (Comics Continuum)

Ardden Entertainment / Atlas (Newsarama)

Aspen (Comics Continuum)

Big Dog Ink (Comics Continuum)

Bluewater (Major Spoilers)

Bongo (Comics Continuum)

Boom! (Comics Continuum)

Dynamite (Comics Continuum)

Moonstone (Comics Continuum)

Oni (Comics Continuum)

Radical

Red 5 (Comics Continuum)

Zenescope (Comics Continuum)
Last edited by BobBretall on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:12 am, edited 9 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Initial solicits are hitting the web!

DC stuff that Interests me:

Wow. 12 more "DC Retroactive" comics at $4.99 a pop.......

The new stories sound cool, but I'm not enthused about paying $4.99 to get something that's half reprint. I guess I'll be looking for these in $1 bins a year from now.

Night Force was an outstanding series, well worth checking out if you've never read it:
NIGHT FORCE HC
Written by MARV WOLFMAN
Art by GENE COLAN and others
The creative team behind Tomb of Dracula reunited in 1982 for NIGHT FORCE! The series begins as the mysterious sorcerer Baron Winter assembles a team to take on an occult evil. But can the granddaughter of Dracula’s greatest foe, a powerful parapsychologist and a timelost warrior from the court of King David tackle these threats? Collecting all fourteen issues of the original series for the first time!
On sale OCTOBER 19 • 352 pg, FC, $39.99 US
And look! An all-new Fables HC:
FABLES: WEREWOLVES OF THE HEARTLAND HC
Written by BILL WILLINGHAM
Art by JIM FERN, CRAIG HAMILTON and RAY SNYDER
Bigby Wolf takes center stage in what might be the most action-packed FABLES story to date. Bigby embarks on a quest through the American Heartland to find a new location for Fabletown. In his wanderings, Bigby stumbles across a small town named Story City, that, amazingly enough, seems to be populated by werewolves. Who are they and where did they come from? They aren’t Fables, but they sure aren’t normal mundys. They seem to already know and revere Bigby, but at the same time they’ve captured and caged him – but why? Unravelling the many mysteries of Story City may cost Bigby more than his life.
On sale OCTOBER 5 • 160 pg, FC, $22.99 US MATURE READERS

Image stuff that Interests me:
I'm getting all the usual stuff on my Image pull list, plus a couple of new things caught my eye.
THE VAULT #1 (of 3)
story SAM SARKAR
art GARRIE GASTONNY
A small team of treasure hunters struggles to excavate a dangerous and legendary treasure pit before a massive storm hits Sable Island, the “Graveyard of the North Atlantic”. Equipped with all the latest technology, the scientists believe they are prepared against all of nature's fury, but nothing can prepare them for what they are about to unleash from The Vault.
This one is GOOD. I read a press review copy of #1 over the weekend liked it a lot. Lot of setup in #1, but it ends off on a reveal that lets you know it's going to be kicked into gear in #2. Good like a summer-thrill-ride movie.
VESCELL #1
story ENRIQUE CARRION
art / cover JOHN UPCHURCH
The International Company known as Vescell specializes in what is commonly known as “Vtrans”, the transferring of a person’s mind and spirit from one body into another. Former Icarus City Detective, Mauricio “Moo” Barrino is now Vescell’s best agent, handling the most high profile and dangerous cases. In the seedy world of a high end corporate espionage, where mysticism and guns clash, and money is tainted with sin, Agent Mauricio Barrino fights against the demons of fate while trying to reach the heaven of his destiny. Be prepared for the bar-raising, sci-fi noir epic that is VESCELL.
This one also looks cool. make sure you order a copy if you want it. Never know which Image #1 will be the next one to take off due to demand outpacing timid retailer ordering.....
------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice breather for me, only 2 new Image #1s added to my list this month
(I think I'll skip the new #1 by Kirman & Liefeld...)
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

BobBretall wrote: Nice breather for me, only 2 new Image #1s added to my list this month
(I think I'll skip the new #1 by Kirman & Liefeld...)
I'm surprised you're not getting "Severed", any reason other than you didn't like the description? Scott Synder was almost enough for me, but throw in a horror vibe ... I'm in.

I'll be getting the two you mentioned [although maybe I'll need to see more of Vescell], as well as Severed, the Kirkman/Liefeld "Infinites", and maybe Epoch ... I'll have to see a preview of that maybe.

Btw, the cover to Vault was stunning, how was the art inside?
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

I've really been enjoying the new Old Western, or "Weird West" comics, like 6th Gun. I'm also picking up the other Deadlands one-shot.
DEADLANDS: DEATH WAS SILENT (ONE-SHOT)
story RON MARZ
art & cover BART SEARS
AUGUST 17
32 PAGES / FC / T
$2.99
Visionary Comics and Pinnacle Entertainment present the third one-shot of the weird Western world of DEADLANDS! A silent bounty hunter rides into a remote town, but the town holds dark secrets that may turn the hunter into the hunted. Superstars RON MARZ and BART SEARS team for a weird Western tale unlike any other!
These "phone books" are great for people who want to get the whole story in one pop. It's in full color too. The Walking Dead compendium sells out all the time at my store, and is now out of print.
INVINCIBLE COMPENDIUM, VOL. 1 TP
story ROBERT KIRKMAN
art CORY WALKER & RYAN OTTLEY
cover RYAN OTTLEY
AUGUST 3
1024 PAGES / FC / T
$64.99
Introducing the first nine volumes of the greatest superhero comic in the universe, collected into one massive paperback edition!
Collects INVINCIBLE #1-47
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote: I'm surprised you're not getting "Severed", any reason other than you didn't like the description? Scott Synder was almost enough for me, but throw in a horror vibe ... I'm in.
While I like horror comics, I'm not such a hard-core fan that I'll buy anything with horror in it. This one didn't really sound that interesting to me.
abysslord wrote: Btw, the cover to Vault was stunning, how was the art inside?
Art inside looks good. Garrie did the art on Caliber & City of Dust (both from Radical) and I liked both of those.

You can see his art here:
http://www.imaginaryfs.com/ifs2.0/about_garrie.html

Also, if you loved the cover of The Vault (by Bagus Huotomo) you should check out the Shrapnel: Aristea Rising series or TPB from Radical. That series had art by Bagus throughout.
Last edited by BobBretall on Tue May 17, 2011 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

GABE! wrote:I've really been enjoying the new Old Western, or "Weird West" comics, like 6th Gun. I'm also picking up the other Deadlands one-shot.
I was thinking about this one (since I got the other 2 Deadlands one-shots) but decided against it because I'm really not a fan of Bart Sears art.
torchsong
Special Reviewer

Post by torchsong »

Sore tempted on Night Force. I remember reading the first few issues back after they premiered it in the New Teen Titans in the 80s. God I'm old. It'll depend on the discount I think.

I was doing well this month, but now there's another Black Widow Premiere HC from Marvel. That may have to go on the list as well.

I need another cheap month...with the Con coming up and an impending Vegas trip...stop making good stuff, comic book companies! :)
"That...that HAIR!!!" - Deadpool, Deadpool #11
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Marvel solicits are up!!!

If Marvel gives something a name (like "Spider Island") what comes next? Added mini-series!!!
SPIDER-ISLAND: CLOAK & DAGGER #1 (of 3)
Written by NICK SPENCER
Penciled by EMMA RIOS
Cover by MIKE CHOI
SPIDER-ISLAND TIE IN!
The fan-favorite, critically acclaimed team of Nick Spencer (IRON MAN 2.0) and Emma Rios (OSBORN) answers the overwhelming demands of readers, and puts the beloved heroes Cloak & Dagger back in action…in SPIDER-ISLAND! Everyday citizens fall prey to a mysterious infestation, and Manhattan is quarantined! Cloak & Dagger are at the front line, in the streets. Thousands of people are gifted with great power…and it’s a disaster!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

SPIDER-ISLAND: THE AMAZING SPIDER-GIRL #1 (of 3)
Written by PAUL TOBIN
Penciled by PEPE LARRAZ
Cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER
Spider-Girl's powers are back! But she's not the only new web-slinger in Manhattan, and Spider-Girl's oldest and deadliest foes, the spider-hating Society of Wasps, have declared a WAR ON SPIDER ISLAND. Can even Spider-Girl's new powers save her against an entire army of Hunter Wasps? And why does Spider-Girl find herself fighting on the same side as... the Hobgoblin, and Kingpin himself?!!
32 PGS./Rated A …$2.99

SPIDER-ISLAND: DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU #1 (of 3)
Written by ANTONY JOHNSTON
Art & Cover by SEBASTIAN FIUMARA
SPIDER-ISLAND TIE-IN!
Beware the deadly hands of Shang-Chi, master of kung fu! Spider-Man and every hero in New York City fights to save Manhattan from a mysterious infestation…and in the middle of the chaos, Shang-Chi uncovers a deadly mystery surrounding Immortal Iron Fist and the Bride of Nine Spiders! Who’s behind this will shock you…and heroes’ lives hang in the balance as Shang-Chi faces this monstrous villain!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99
I am looking forward to more Spider-Girl from Paul Tobin.....this will replace the canceled Spider-Girl series on my pull list.
THE PUNISHER #1
Written by GREG RUCKA
Penciled by MARCO CHECCHETTO
For Frank Castle death comes easy...life is where things gets complicated. Fully loaded with the Eisner winning writer Greg Rucka (Batwoman, Queen and Country, WOLVERINE) and neo-superstar artist Marco Checchetto (Amazing Spider-Man, Daredevil), the BIGGEST GUN of all returns with blood on his hands and vengeance in his eyes. As New York City's body counts continue to rise, the city's streets are teeming with more methodical criminals than ever and a police force doing it's best to keep its head above water. The Punisher has returned to serve his own brand of justice with everything's he's got... but can he survive the darkness stored in his own arsenal? Plus bonus pages exploring some of the new personalities in Frank's life...and how closely intertwined living is with dying.
Rucka on Punisher, I'll be checking this out. Good to see this title is dropping down to $2.99 after the up-priced #1 issue. Of the 3 "street level" relaunches, Daredevil & Punisher both dropped to $2.99 with #2, only Moon Knight stayed at $3.99 because Bendis comics "want to" be priced at $3.99.....

Double (& triple) ship watch for August:
A whopping 19 titles with multiple shipments in August!!
I noticed several of these double ships are not listed next to one another this month, I may have missed some as a result.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #667 & #668
AVENGERS ACADEMY #17 & #18
DAKEN: DARK WOLVERINE #12 & #13
DEADPOOL #41 & #42
HERC #6 & #6.1
HULK #38 & #39
INCREDIBLE HULKS #634 & #635
IRON MAN 2.0 #7.1 & #8
JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #626 & #626.1
NEW MUTANTS #29 & #30
THE PUNISHER #1 & #2
THOR: HEAVEN & EARTH #2 & #3
THUNDERBOLTS #161 & #162
ULTIMATE FALLOUT #4, #5 & #6
UNCANNY X-FORCE #13 & #14
WOLVERINE #13 & #14
X-FACTOR #223 & #224
X-MEN #15.1 & #16
X-MEN LEGACY #253 & #254
abysslord
Master Reviewer

Post by abysslord »

Am I the only one who thinks the premise for Spider Island sounds horrible? We'll see how it reads.

For the tie-ins, I'll probably pick up the Cloak and Dagger one and maybe the Deadly Foes one. The Spider-Girl sounds alright but since I didn't read the previous series, no point in reading this one.

One other comment, that picture of the new Ghost Rider is kind of silly. I know it's a female but do we need white hair within the flaming skull to remind us? The guys never had their hair show up, and it's not like we'll forget it's a female. Kinda stupid looking.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

abysslord wrote: One other comment, that picture of the new Ghost Rider is kind of silly. I know it's a female but do we need white hair within the flaming skull to remind us? The guys never had their hair show up, and it's not like we'll forget it's a female. Kinda stupid looking.
That's hilarious! To be honest, I've been kind of ignoring the Ghost Rider relaunch & didn't realize it was a female. Funny how when it was a guy, Ghost Rider was totally skeletal: skull head, skeleton torso. When it's a woman it has long hair & breasts. Sad, really......
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Dark Horse solicits have been added.

I'm getting less from them this month than last:
BALTIMORE: THE CURSE BELLS #1
B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH: MONSTERS #2 (of 2)
CONAN: ROAD OF KINGS #7 (didn't realize this was an on-going.....)
DARK HORSE PRESENTS #3
THE GOON #35
USAGI YOJIMBO #140
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

The new Previews is shipping LATE again this month. Instead of shipping on the last Wednesday of the month (May 25th) it will ship on Wed June 1st.

This will put the Previews call on Friday June 10th at 5pm Pacific / 6pm Mountain / 7pm Central / 8pm Eastern.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Added links for:
Ape / Archie / Aspen / Big Dog / Bongo / Dynamite / IDW / Moonstone / Oni
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

From Moonstone:
JUSTICE MACHINE #1
Written by Mark Ellis, art by David Enebral and Mar Degano, cover by Jeff Siemons.
The Justice Machine is back! The legendary super-team returns on the 30th anniversary of their 1981 debut! The Justice Machine fought to destroy tyranny on two worlds -- but nearly twenty years ago they vanished, never to be seen again. Until now! The Machine's explosive return plunges them into a nightmarish landscape of two realities warring for dominion! The team races to thwart a dark destiny awaiting all humanity if they fail to stop an unspeakable evil from gaining a foothold to the future!
John, you might remember this series from many moons ago! Anyone else?
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

From Dynamite:
GARTH ENNIS' JENNIFER BLOOD #7
Written by Al Ewing, art by Marcos Marz, covers by Tim Bradstreet, Ale Garza, Jonathan Lau.
Jen's bloody war against the Blutes is over and it's time for the cleanup phase of the operation. All's well that ends well? In a word... no. This issue: what a woman who kills six men during the week does on a Sunday, what you think about when the only witness to your mass murder vanishes and you didn't do it, and what happens when you short-change a powerful man with a rotten temper. And waffles. Delicious waffles.
Looks like Garth Ennis is bailing on this title after the 1st story arc, I think I'll cut it from my list also. I may pick up #7 in the LCS & see how it looks, but I think I can be content having read the 6 issue arc by Garth.

AND.....

2 more Licensed comics based on TV shows.......
THE BIONIC MAN #1
Written by Kevin Smith, Phil Hester, art by Jonathan Lau,
Steve Austin is back and film maker Kevin Smith unleashes his high-octane vision in this new series from Dynamite. Featuring 28 pages of story/art in an action-packed first issue!

WAREHOUSE 13 #1
Written by Ben Raab, Deric A. Hughes, art by Ben Morse
Enter a world of endless wonder as Syfy's smash-hit dramedy makes its comic book debut! When a series of sudden, unexplained sinkholes appear beneath the streets of Rio de Janeiro, the Warehouse team heads down to Brazil in the middle of Carnival to uncover the cause. What they discover is that someone is using an ancient artifact to move massive chunks of earth and mine huge, underground gold deposits. With the ground becoming increasingly unstable, our heroes find themselves in a race to retrieve the artifact before the entire city collapses! Written by the writers of Warehouse 13, this thrilling 5-issue action-adventure/mystery series promises to snag, bag and tag fans of the show and new readers alike!
And now for something I'll actually be getting:
THE LIVING CORPSE: EXHUMED #1
Written by Ken Haeser, Buz Hasson, art by Ken Haeser, Buz Hasson
The Living Corpse rises from the grave in an all-new 6-issue mini-series! It's hard enough to be The Living Corpse -- the flies, the hunger for human brains, and the unending task of holding off the hordes of darkness from creeping into the world of the living. But when a Nosferatu suddenly moves into his graveyard, all hell breaks loose! And what will happen when The Living Corpse's friend, Lilith, get's caught in the middle? It's a battle of the undead and only one will be left standing!
A fun undead story......I loved the previous series from Zenescope....