Introduce yourself!

This is the place to discuss the episodes of the Comic Book Page podcast, the Comic Book Page website or pretty much anything else of interest to the Comic Book Page community...

Moderator: JohnMayo

El Paquiro
Passerby

Post by El Paquiro »

Hello, my name is Francisco Campaña, I live and collect comics in Mexico.

My mother used to buy us a bunch of comics before we could read, we loved Tarzan and Korak Mexican reprints, but we read almoast anything we could get our hands on, after reading the same comics for months, we would exchange them to cousins, friends or neighbors for theirs or our mothers would throw em away saying they took too much space at our houses.

I bought my first American comic book, "Peter Parker The Spectacular Spider-Man # 38", as an exchange student in Salt Lake City, Utah, even though my American Family lived in Elk Ridge, close to Payson.

I started buying and collecting American Comics for the whole school year and went back to Mexico and started collecting from there and transmited the Collecting bug to my brothers.

Before coming back I bought Origins and Son of Origins of Marvel Comics. Marvel Comics weren't known very well in Mexico because the largest Publisher of reprinted material had and exclusive license with DC comics until 1980, when they began reprinting HULK and CONAN.

I buy a lot of books on reference, history and biographies Comic related. It's hard to follow monthly comics abroad so I buy mostly Trades and collected editions.

I don't know exactly how many comics I have, many of them are Mexican series of characters and properties from our own Golden Age and bronze age.

I love Comics from all genres, colors, formats, languages and Countries and hope to have time someday to enjoy and take care of my collection.

Saludos a todos!
El Paquiro
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Welcome, El Paquiro!!!
LA Rabbit
Reviewer

Post by LA Rabbit »

I had the extreme pleasure of meeting Bob at Wizard Anaheim where he directed me to his website/podcast. I am already on my second episode of the day and look forward to exploring the archives with hours of entertaining comic talk.

I am based in LA. I read comics like a madman in the 80's but left early 90's and only recently returned. So much has changed, so much is still the same. Really enjoying the podcasts.
LA Rabbit
georgeoflegend
Passerby

Post by georgeoflegend »

Hey, I’m George and I have been addicted to comics since the early 1970’s when I use to read my brothers X-Men comics. My hometown didn’t have a comic shop-I bought comics off the spinner rack when I had some change. I floated on and off buying comics based solely on the cover art. It wasn’t until I was in high school that I evolved into getting comics on a regular monthly basis and carefully boxing up those that I did have. At one point I had not quite 12,000 comics, but graduating from collage and a couple of career relocations across country have caused me to purge my collection down to the 4,000 I have today. I have two sons and have become their enabler by exposing them to the ‘good stuff’ from the 70’s and 80’s.
Malache13
Passerby

Post by Malache13 »

Hello my name is Don Woodworth. I have been collecting comics for about 25 years. Started with secret wars!!!! I am also the cohost of the killyrcomics podcast.
junbobkim
Passerby

Post by junbobkim »

Hi, I'm Jun Bob Kim and a comic enthusiast and an artist. I'm a family man, trying to juggle the scheduling demands of my fulltime job and myriads of other interests in my life.

Unfortunately, due to some financial constraints, I am able to read only few comics, and that's from following the artists that really inspire/intrigue me.

I could have sworn that I had been a part of this board before, but realized that I was obviously mistaken... Although, I am very familiar with Bob & John for a while now.
Frank Castle
Master Reviewer

Post by Frank Castle »

junbobkim wrote:Hi, I'm Jun Bob Kim and a comic enthusiast and an artist. I'm a family man, trying to juggle the scheduling demands of my fulltime job and myriads of other interests in my life.

Unfortunately, due to some financial constraints, I am able to read only few comics, and that's from following the artists that really inspire/intrigue me.

I could have sworn that I had been a part of this board before, but realized that I was obviously mistaken... Although, I am very familiar with Bob & John for a while now.
Jun Bob, never heard of him!
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

Welcome, Junbob!!
onemaddog
Contributor

Post by onemaddog »

Hi I am mark from sunny Northern California. I have been collecting comic books since 2005 and enjoying every minute of it. I mainly read Trades and collected editions. On my Blog I have a listing and mini review of each book I have read since I started collecting (up to about 120). I am originally from the UK so I was brought up on Warlord, Bullet, Starlord, Commando and 2000AD.

I am definitely more biased towards the non superhero stuff but enjoy listening to the podcast for new ideas about what to try next.

onemaddog
BoomerZ
Passerby

Post by BoomerZ »

Hi all!

First time poster here on this forum. The quick 411 - I am a 43 year old long time comic fan living in the suburbs outside of Princeton, NJ. I am a lawyer by profession and (stuck) in a long term relationship. I only recently became aware of the Comic Book Page podcast through the 11 O'Clock Comics/Bullpen Bulletins forum and have become a regular listener.

My all-time favorite books include Grant Morrison's Animal Man, Robinson's Starman and Golden Age, 70's Micronauts, the JLI's early days, The Silent Invasion and Alan Moore's Supreme. And though I am principally a DC guy, I am also digging a number of titles from other publishers (Captain America, The Stuff of Legend among them) currently.

Looking forward to being active here and thanks John and Bob for a great cast.

Bill (BoomerZ)
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

BoomerZ wrote: The Silent Invasion
I remember loving this series (from Renegade) back in the late 1980s. 12 issues came out.

I just looked the book up because you mentioned it and see that another 6 issues came out from Caliber in 1996 (that appear to be reprints of the original series), with another 1 issue in 1998 called "Abductions" (I'm thinking this reprinted #7 of the original series and the reprints of 8-12 never came out.

I didn't even know these reprints existed!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
BoomerZ
Passerby

Post by BoomerZ »

BobBretall wrote:
BoomerZ wrote: The Silent Invasion
I remember loving this series (from Renegade) back in the late 1980s. 12 issues came out.

I just looked the book up because you mentioned it and see that another 6 issues came out from Caliber in 1996 (that appear to be reprints of the original series), with another 1 issue in 1998 called "Abductions" (I'm thinking this reprinted #7 of the original series and the reprints of 8-12 never came out.

I didn't even know these reprints existed!

BTW, welcome to the forum!
The Caliber issues weren't exactly reprints of the Renegade run in the strictest sense - there were substantial reworkings of the artwork and some changes in dialogue. The reworked versions also appear in the NBM trades.

The Abductions mini was not a reprint continuation but was in fact a sequel. Only one issue came out under the original title from Caliber; it was later issued by NBM as SECRET MESSAGES for a five issue run.

Bob, thanks also for the welcome.
BobBretall
Master Reviewer

Post by BobBretall »

BoomerZ wrote: The Caliber issues weren't exactly reprints of the Renegade run in the strictest sense - there were substantial reworkings of the artwork and some changes in dialogue. The reworked versions also appear in the NBM trades.
Good to know, I'll have to keep an eye out for this series then.
GABE!
Special Reviewer

Post by GABE! »

Hello Everybody.

I'm Gabe and I live in fabulous Las Vegas and I'm 30 years old. I discovered this podcast and forum from the 11'oclock comics podcast and forums (screen name I Want Nachos.) Seems like I have that in common with a few others here. Another thing that I have in common with everyone is I love comics. I've been a fan of Super heroes since I was a small child when my parents would read me a Spider-man storybook called The Big Top Mystery. But I didn't get into comics until I was about 12 when a neighbor kid gave me a TMNT #1. back then I became a big fan of the X-Men (Jim Lee era) Death of Superman and the Breaking of Batman's back ( I didn't know any better.) Over the years my taste in comics has changed, over and over again. Now I'm reading about 60-80 titles a month ranging from Marvel, DC, and as many cool indy/small press stuff I can find, but Spider-man, Batman, and The Fantastic Four have always been with me.

I'm working 2 jobs at the moment.
1) As a tech Support Supervisor for Sony Playstation. Which means, if you have an issue with your PS3 and call the 800 number and complain enough you will get me or my team.
2) I'm an assistant Manager for the largest comic book store in the Las Vegas area called Maximum comics. We specialize in back issues ranging from Gold Key and Dell all the way through Silver age, Bronze and current, Toys, Sideshow statues and pretty much everything else. Since we are one of the few store that buys from the public we have an ever changing inventory.

I just bought my first house last April and I live with my Fiance' who I've been with for 5 years. At the moment I've been trying to get my comic room set up and organized, but two jobs eats all my free time.
Paul Nolan
Special Reviewer

Post by Paul Nolan »

Hello, My names Paul and I'm 33. I'm Married with two boys, and live in Southampton in England.

I've been hoarding comic books since the early nineties amassing a few thousand. I started reading British comics but was intrigued after I found a few X-Titles on the local newsagents shelves. My interest was cemented after going on holiday to Denmark with my German exchange partner. For some reason a copy of New Warriors 25 was sat on the shelf of a shop in Denmark. For the rest of that holiday I scoured the shelves for comics to have that one thing i could read in my native tongue. Coming home to the UK I found a local comic shop. Got absorbed by the Ultraverse, sucked in by the Image Universe and bought the odd DC and Marvel too.

Nowadays I get all my books mail order. Getting mainly Boom! and Image books with a few Marvel and the odd book from other publishers.